Chapter 56: The Black Dragon, Part Two

Battle of Nazarick

Momonga saw Nidhoggr open his jaws impossibly wide, a green inferno bubbling at the back of his throat. "Scatter!"

Through whatever means his friends could, they split off into small groups. Momonga himself flew straight up into the sky. He got a bird's eye view of the entire battlefield, seeing the titanic dragon breathe a stream of molten, emerald napalm down where the guild had been prior.

A tidal wave of pure heat rolled over the grass plains, scorching the earth to a char. The dirt and grass used to cover Nazarick was blown away, revealing the very top of the guild base.

Nidhoggr's breath was so powerful that it cracked the ground, melting dirt into a glossy sheen-like glass. Jagged shards as tall as trees sprouted up from the force, crystallized fire that burned eternally where it stood.

The architecture of the surface was similarly leveled. It could be repaired with a small fee after the battle, due to Nazarick's natural restoration system, but the fact that the base was harmed at all made his emotional inhibitor work overtime.

A silver lining was that Momonga was relieved to see that Albedo and Pandora's Actor were not caught in the blast. They must have gone directly into the tomb to prepare for battle.

"We're separated for the time being. Everyone assume raid formation, split off into groups of six to seven. Flank this bastard from all angles and don't let up!" Momonga commanded, utilizing a [Message] spell to keep in contact with every member of his guild.

They did as they were told, an old instinct from when the guild would regularly raid farm bosses for resources. It was the same method they used when they raided Nazarick for the first time.

Each group was composed of a tank, a DPS, a healer, a ranged fighter, a utility mage, a summoner, and a field crafter. However, because they only had forty-one players within the guild, this meant that one team would comprise just six players.

Joining Momonga were Touch Me, Bukubukuchagama, Yamaiko, Peroroncino, Ulbert Alain Odle, and Amanomahitotsu. They were teleported to his location, and able to float in the air due to a [Flight] spell.

His group faced Nidhoggr directly, while the other five groups took up positions around the black dragon. Those on the ground were harassed by wendigos, but the summons from before held them at bay, providing much-needed breathing room.

Nidhoggr laughed, a foreboding sound like an avalanche in motion. "A familiar formation, I see. Let us see how the strategies of the forty-one compare to the twenty-seven that took Nazarick."

Circles of runes wrapped around his body, glowing with immense mana. The tree bark that made up parts of his skin bulged with power, ready to burst from the sea of magic at the World Enemy's disposal.

"[Fjarlægðu Meiri Viðnám], [Brenna]."

An intense heat wrapped around Momonga's body, his body encased in an eternal green fire like Nidhoggr's breath. The outlines of his magical protections flared brightly, as did those of his friends. Even through the wards he placed upon himself and his friends, not everything was negated. He grunted in pain.

It was a similar pain to how he imagined being burned by a hot pan on the stove. Peroroncino yelped, the tips of his feathers catching on fire from the heat. Touch Me's armor shone unusually shiny, Bukubukuchagama's slime body melted slightly, and Amanomahitotsu's shell brightened by several shades of red. Ulbert's fur singed and the rose on his shoulder wilted, while Yamaiko's heavy jacket cracked like dry leather.