Chapter 32: Academy of Madness

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the academy

Nfirea felt like he was free falling, but no air brushed past him on the way down. He half-wondered if he was floating, in the deep, dark abyss that the shadow beast had dragged him into. There was nothing as far as the eye could see, only an infinite void into which he fell.

Am I dead? Was everything I just experienced some pre-death hallucination? Am I still trapped in the graveyard of E-Rantel?

When he looked down at his arms, he could see he was still holding the emerald book and pen-wand. He could feel their texture, sense their weight against his body, sensations he imagined he wouldn't have if he was well and truly dead.

He was amazingly calm throughout all of this, if only because he heard what the monster said to him, when he made it clear as to his standing with the masters of the academy and what they commanded of all their servants. He realized then that's why he couldn't be dead either, because the beast acknowledged him, and said "I know".

Had he instead been transported to another place, or was he in the middle of being taken there? If so, this method was well beyond his comprehension. It was barely his first day, but already he felt like he was less surprised that a creature of that caliber existed for his teachers.

Which made it all the more shocking when he was unceremoniously dumped into the next area. He landed on his front with a meaty thump, knocking the wind out of him temporarily. He kept the emerald book and pen-wand close to his chest, which added onto his temporary pain.

Taking a cautionary look around, he saw this new place was properly lit up, so he had no need for a [Continual Light] or the lantern to show him around. It was an almost exact copy of the previous room he had been in, only there was no pedestal and the mirror looked decrepit and dusty, completely shattered.

Just to be sure though, he double checked the door beforehand, seeing that it was fully closed. Unlike the previous room with the shadow beast, there was a doorknob on the inside, so he could safely open and close it without fear of being trapped inside... again.

There was some extra furniture here too. Just a small, round table and two chairs, as well as a wash basin to clean himself up. There was a musty cot in one corner, but he chose not to get close to it, as he felt he wouldn't be staying long anyways.

He groaned, staggering back up to a standing position. "Uggh, couldn't I have been dropped off a little easier? It might have been nicer if I didn't feel like I just got sucker punched."

This was said primarily to himself, but a gust of warm air like a breath tickled his face, and then he heard what sounded like a sigh. Something bumped against the tip of his shoe, to which he saw the lantern he originally brought with him. He bent down to affix it to his belt, his hand brushing against the wand that Enri had given him.

I forgot I still had this with me. Enri told me it has spells on it, and it has the ability to extend itself into a staff. Except now I have the pen-wand, so what do I do with this extra wand?

Tucking the book under his arm, He took the wand he brought with him off his belt, staring at the piece of magical equipment with fondness. His thumb brushed the polished surface, appreciating the simplicity of it.

It was an ordinary wooden wand, looking quite primitive in comparison to the one he acquired in the room with the mirror and shadow beast. He imagined the pen-wand was vastly superior in capabilities, given it could quite literally power itself from spells written on paper, but the thought of giving up the wand Enri gifted him was unthinkable.

A lamp lit itself in his head, an idea coming to him when he thought about the pen-wand's power. He lifted it up to the same level as the wooden wand, feeling a familiar tingle of mana dancing across his palm. However, this was different than when his talent was activated to disable a restriction.