Chapter 35: War under Heaven

"A-a bargain? What kind of bargain w-would that be?"

Nfirea's mind raced with how the strange being before him presented itself. Based on the inflection of the creature's voice, it sounded like an older man who specialized in the mercantile business.

His voice was so smooth and slick that he could practically feel his pockets getting lighter, his coin purse relieved of its contents and his arms bundled with extravagant but otherwise useless treasures. Despite his fiery appearance, his demeanor would not be out of place in the Imperial Marketplace.

Wish III, as he called himself, spread his "hands" to showcase non-existent wares. "Why, son, anything! You desire information and knowledge, yes, but I can grant far more than just that."

He got even closer, sliding a smoldering limb around his shoulders. "Among my peers, there is no other like I. Even the strongest stagger before my strength, the wisest wilt before my wit, and the canny cower before my cunning. There is no one who can touch me!"

The flames that engulfed the room but did not devour the furniture surged higher. "Ah, but I can sense your doubt. You do not believe what I am capable of, or even if my words strike true. As expected of a mortal such as yourself."

This time, Nfirea found the courage within himself to stand his ground and halt his shaking limbs. "I-I don't know what to think. It's barely been three days and already I've seen more than most adventurers would in their entire lifetimes. I've experienced and learned more about the world than I thought existed, and just come face to face with its horrors."

"Tsk tsk tsk, there is no reason to try and flatter me. You've already garnered my attention afterall, so I would say the compliments are unnecessary."

"Compliments?!"

"Now, I believe we have a deal to strike, one that I promise will be most lucrative. Tell me, son, what desires have you most in your heart? What do you long for that seems so far away?"

Instantly, the flames conjured up images from Nfirea's life, snippets from thoughts and memories either suppressed or buried deep in his subconscious. They fanned out around the young alchemist as tall, smoky mirrors to show what the djinn meant.

In one reflection, he saw himself as he'd been before the destruction of E-Rantel, slightly older by the looks of the small goatee and mustache he was growing. His grandmother stood beside him, watching with pride and hunched over a cane in her wrinkled hands.

In another, he saw himself in a vast laboratory, standing before a chalk board and a hoard of scholars, who all scribbled furiously in their notebooks and scrolls. Nfirea was dressed in clothes to make a nobleman jealous, and he looked even older with the large but well-trimmed beard he wore in this iteration.

And in the last one Nfirea bothered to look at, he saw himself as he was now, in the prime of his life and just coming into a simple house from a long day's work. Sitting in a rocking chair was Enri, a swaddled bundle with grasping, minuscule hands reaching out to touch her face.

Enri looked up to him from the baby, giving him a gentle smile. Nfirea's hand felt hot, burningly so, and he yanked it away from the surface of the fire forged mirror.

It took him a moment to realize that he'd unconsciously reached out to the image, wanting to touch the Enri he saw.

"Ah, I cannot say I'm particularly surprised. Greed, power, influence...love are all factors which drive us. They inspire us to great heights that we could never accomplish on our own. How very...human of you.

That snapped Nfirea back to the current situation back at hand, having briefly mulled over his thoughts and feelings. "Human, huh? Then I guess nothing's really changed. Still, you haven't exactly told me the details of your 'bargain' or given me any assurances of how you plan to uphold your end."