Chapter 47: Gathering of the Storm

If it weren't for the usual protections against status effects that Peroroncino had, he swore that the display of power that Dynamite unleashed would have made him both blind and deaf. However, even at level one-hundred, he could still feel his bones rattle from the, thankfully, self-contained [Explosion].

"I just hope she got that out of her system for the next couple of days," he muttered, paying no mind to the whimpering of the villagers he snatched out of bed.

He once again thanked his own sense of self for not wearing an Amulet of Greater Hel. Had he moved as quickly as he did while a fully-charged [Explosion] spell went off, he was certain the piece of gear would've been blown clear off, if not outright incinerated.

"C-could you p-please let us down, sir? I-I'm catching a bit of a draft out here," one of the villagers asked, dangling from his grip like a sad sack of wet undergarments. His wife and daughter were dangling with him, and in Peroroncino's other hand was the member of Zuranon he thought was named Jamie.

"Oh, right, sorry," he acquiesced to the villagers, distracted by his own thoughts. Annoyance was at the forefront of it all, since while he understood his friend's desire to "let loose" and absolutely destroy something, he just wished she restrained herself long enough for them to pull out the "death lord" from the cavern and blow it up above ground.

At the very least, she buffed up a [Globe of Invulnerability] to handle the power of her spell. That should normally only be effective against fifth tier spells.

Without another word, he zipped back to his friends before the villagers could ask further questions, crossing his arms as he stood next to Ulbert and Dynamite.

"There was only about three people still left in the cavern, plus this one," he said, hoisting his prisoner. "At the very least you avoided the worst of the collateral damage."

Dynamite grinned impishly at him. "Come on, Pero! You really think I'd risk a bunch of civvies like that just so I could have fun?"

"To be fair, you used an eight-tier spell and buffed it up to tenth-tier just to kill something that is only slightly higher level than an ordinary death knight, if the "lord" title is anything to go by."

Ulbert snorted at that. "As per the usual, not many are able to stand up to our power. I couldn't tell you that creature's particular level, but I highly doubt much could survive taking two [Explosions] all at once."

Peroroncino hummed in agreement, glancing up at where the death lord had been previously. All he really saw was a smoking crater roughly five meters in diameter, the earth scorched black and crumbling into ash. From that ash, he couldn't tell what was from the rock that got incinerated and what was from the actual undead Dynamite killed.

Likewise, the body the death lord smashed was also nowhere to be found. That was to be expected, since all that would be left could fit in a ziplock bag. The thunderbird archer was morbidly amused at this.

"In any event, you wanted to interrogate these three, right? The Zuranon member I don't imagine will be too willing to tell us something we don't already know. The two you have, Ulbert, I think are more than willing to cooperate with us."

He said all of this pragmatically, especially in a situation where ordinary people were involved. It was probably because he had his other friends with him, acting as an anchor to keep him from full-on panicking. His heteromorphic nature had limits, after-all, only really serving to keep his disgust at blood and gore in check. He half-wondered if he could ask Momonga for tips on how he remained so calm nowadays, even more so than their other friends.