Chapter 39: Practical Application

Carne Village, Enri's House

Enri Emmot paced around the living room of her house, growing more and more agitated by the second. Every so often she'd look out the window to the greater village, only to then return to her pacing moments later.

Her shoulders were stiff and her posture rigid. Her eyes narrowed in thought while she stared at the floor, and her feet on automatic. Her hands clenched and unclenched at her sides, unable to stay still.

Rowan and Aeliana stood near the doorway leading in, watching with concern at the future chieftain, in their eyes at least. Neither said a word, content to let her vent her frustration however she pleased.

A pair of the Goblin Troop were present as well, Jugem and Cona. They sat quietly at the dining table in the room over, but the doorway connecting both rooms provided a clear sight of their summoner.

It wasn't that everything was going wrong in the village, quite the opposite really. Save for a few spats between the Goblin Troop and more radical portions of the Sunlight Scripture, all was coming along swimmingly.

Supplies were abundant, the villagers were happy and healthy, and expansion of Carne continued at a steady but sustainable pace. At the center of it all, Enri found herself as the de-facto chieftain and go-to for all projects and issues.

Talk among the village circulated that Chief Haru was preparing to step down, to give up his place to Enri and allow her to run things from now on. She scoffed at the notion, because she couldn't possibly see herself doing such a thing.

Her, running a village as chieftain? She was strong willed, but that came with a whole set of responsibilities she felt she wasn't worthy of. What did the others see in her that she didn't?

She was just a simple village girl, one who did her best to help her neighbors and rebuild what they lost. She had a little sister to take care of, and the Goblin Troop to manage, though they did fine on their own.

The Sunlight Scripture, despite their best behavior under Rowan's watchful eye and the precautions provided by the Sirs of Ainz Ooal Gown, always loomed in the back of her mind. Some of their number were acquaintances, friends, if she were so bold to say.

But she couldn't, wouldn't forget how they got to Carne, or why they were there in the first place. There were times, in her worst moments, that she saw them still drenched in the blood of her people.

These worries came second, however, to what really bothered her.

It's only been a little over a week. His studies likely haven't even begun yet. He'd still be going through the basics, getting a feel for the academy. I wish I knew where it was so I could write him a letter.

"Miss Enri, if you continue to pace anymore like that, you're liable to run a dent into the floorboards of your own house," Rowan finally said, in his usual professional voice.

She stopped in her tracks. "I know, I know, I'm sorry. I'm just...worried is all, about Nfirea. It hasn't been long, but he wasn't well when he left. I just hope that "Hermetis" man doesn't do anything drastic to him."

"Nfirea is tougher than he looks, despite his scrawny appearance. I'm sure he's fine," Aeliana said, but her words fell on deaf eyes as Enri unconsciously began to pace again.

"But what if he's not fine? I'm not there to give him the support he needs. He's in a strange place with strangers, all because they promised him knowledge and getting better? What if this was a trap? No, no, they never would've gone through all this trouble just to steal him away."

A sigh broke through her muttering, as well as a strong but gentle grip on her shoulder. She looked up to see Rowan's amused eyes, his scar almost disappearing in the slight wrinkles of his face when he smiled.