Who let the dogs out?

》Y/N pov《

'Don't panic, don't panic, don't panic-'

I take a deep breath and do as Bahtoh said. I close my eyes, and do an awkward bow. 

Bahtoh purrs slightly from behind me, and the hound walks closer. Her claws clacking on the metal floor. I can feel the dog- Paika, sniffing at my hand. The majority of her muzzle feels wet, and I can feel the scrape of her teeth as she sniffs at my feet. She nudges and prods at my training armor. Paika circles around and sniffs at my other hand, until I feel her breath on my face. 

Still I keep my eyes closed and my head down, she noses at my cheeks and huffs at my eyes. Bahtoh's purring is probably the only thing getting me through this. 

》 Bahtoh pov《

Well, this is going better than expected. Paika is more confused than she is angry, and Y/N is staying still. Although it sounds as if their heart is about to burst. 

"You are doing well, just stay still."

Paika side eyes me as she continues to check out Y/N. She steps closer, sniffing their neck. I can smell Y/N's growing anxiety, like the smell of rancid chemicals. 

"You need to relax."

"I'm relaxed." Y/N gives me a harsh whisper.

It is at that moment Paika makes her decision. She barks right in Y/N's face. They fall to the floor in shock, yelping once they hit the ground. 

》 Y/N pov 《

"Bahtoh-"

"It's okay, stay down." I can see Bahtoh out of the corner of my eye, his calm demeanor helps me to not run off. 

Paika steps over me, and looks me in the eyes. Her completely alien eyes are green and deep. A lovely contrast to the red hues of her skin. She has dreads similar to Bahtoh, and the others. 

I can't help but whisper my thoughts. "You're beautiful."

She huffs at that, but seems to relax. Paika leans in and instead of biting off my face, she licks it. Over and over, to the point I'm laughing. Her breath is awful like any dogs, and her little nub of a tail makes her wag her whole butt. 

"Wow, she really likes you." Bahtoh kneels to the ground beside me. "I'm almost jealous."

"Pfft, well what can I say? Aliens seem to like me." I laugh as Paika pauses to bark again, this time lighter and less aggressive. 

"They certainly do-"

Bahtoh doesn't quite get the chance to finish his sentence, as he is tackled by a large dark 'dog'. The other hound is on top of Bahtoh and loving him all over, slobber flying everywhere and that thing's tail is going ninety miles and hour. I look forwards at the kennels and out comes two more. 

These two are smaller than Paika, and the other one, but the seem younger too, one even has a prostetic leg. They both walk up to sniff at my hands and feet, their noses are cold and their teeth are sharp. But I don't jerk away, or close my eyes. They're like literal puppies. 

Then all at once they begin to smother my face. 

"Pfft, ack- Bahtoh, a little help?" I sputter, trying to get away from this adorable attack. 

I feel warm hands grab under my armpits, but I'm not lifted into the air. Instead I am dragged across the ground to lean against an even warmer chest. Bahtoh situates me in his lap, leaning my back against his chest with our legs stretched out. 

"My hero." I giggle as Bahtoh wipes off my face. 

Bahtoh simply purrs in response. His big arms wrap around my front, pulling me higher so he can nuzzle into my head. The sharp tusks on his mandibles tap along my scalp in a soothing rhythm. Sighing, I lean into his embrace. The hounds also seem to have calmed, as they begin to yawn and curl up against Bahtoh. Paika keeps her head resting in my lap so I can rub her crown. 

"So, do you like them?" Bahtoh mutters against my head. 

"Like them? Try; adore them." Paikas skin is smooth, but her whiskers feel almost wirey. 

The distraction is definitely working, and the cold inside my bones is melting away. If only it could last forever. But, like always, my mind wanders.  

"What made Ayull so… upset?" I look up to Bahtoh, "I mean we were all upset, but Ayull seemed to have some sort of vendetta against the humans."

》 Bahtoh pov《

How can I put this into words? Ayull is such a strong and noble hunter, and I trust him with my life, my heart, but when I first saw him like that. That first time I saw him with such anger directed at a living being, true fear infected my body. He looked like a god of wrath.

But when he saw how his words affected
Y/N, all that anger switched. He seemed alarmed at his own words, but not regretful. Ayull meant every one of those words. 

I can't imagine his perspective of what happened, but even on the data scrolls it seemed gruesome. What they did to Ayull and his family makes me want to exterminate the 'ooman race as well, I'd never actually do it. Ayull however… he'd do it.

》Y/N pov《

Bahtoh is silent for a long moment, before he huffs and leans against the wall. 

"Neither me or Veta was there when it happened, but there was an incident. A long time ago." His hands move to hold mine, almost as if he's comparing the size.

"What incident?" 

"That's something you'll have to ask Ayull." Me and Bahtoh jump as Veta seemingly appears out of nowhere in the door frame. 

"Jeez! You scared the shit outta me!" I laugh as even the dogs seem startled. 

"Yes, well it is time to eat. As well as get you into some comfortable clothes." Veta holds out his hand for one of the dogs to sniff. 

"Will Ayull be there?"

"No, he is in the forge. It is best to let him be for a while, to let him burn a fire outside his body." Veta's face goes a bit solemn at that, he looks worried. As if Ayull's done this before.

"Actually, would it be ok if I showered first?"

"That will be fine." Bahtoh grunts as he gets both me and himself onto our feet. "I need to talk to Veta privately."

"Okay, I'll see you at lunch."

A strange feeling spreads over my skin when I start to walk away. It feels like the calm before a storm, like something is coming.

Something dangerous.

Yes, yes I know this took forever to post.
But hey, it's here now :D

Besides I'm gearing up to do some major lore diving with my three lovely boys. And yall better be ready!
I cant wait to hear your predictions for what this incident was, so don't be afraid to guess, or ask questions!!!

- live long and die happy, the Author