Chapter V: Meeting Death (Pt.4)

"The Primordials were beings revered as gods by humans for thousands of years. Over time, humans saw less and less of them until they eventually became the stuff of myths spoken about in folklore. There were originally thought to be six, but there are actually eight Primordials, each wielding dominion over an aspect of human existence – life, fury, pride, joy, lust, greed, despair, and death." I motioned to him with the last one.

      "Greed and Despair went incognito many millennia ago. Since the Watchers haven't grasped the concept of turning over information to the next Watcher, any information that may have been recorded would be 200 years old by the time the next Watcher of the same family is deployed. That's why they could go so long being completely forgotten about. As for why we're here, well... you know those gods I just mentioned? Turns out you're one of them – one of the three most powerful, actually. You're the Supreme Primordial Death!" I finished and held my breath. I honestly have no idea how someone is supposed to react to being told they're a god.

      I could tell from his stillness and the look of incredulity on his face that he didn't believe any of what I'd just said, and he was running out of patience. His body tensed as he opened his mouth to speak, but Trik chimed in before he could get anything out.

      "Okay, look, I know it seems unbelievable, but we're telling the truth," Trik said, trying to prevent Death from getting any more irritated. "How else do you think you're capable of this?" He waved his arm to gesture to the dead scenery around us.

      Death looked at us like he wanted to say something but decided he shouldn't.

      "This is getting ridiculous," I said out loud. "With all due respect, we can't have a conversation with you when all you can do is glare or stare at us. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the sentiment, but there's an easier way to communicate. Do you have one of these?" I turned my head to show my c-chip behind my ear.

      I received an affirming nod with a look of apprehension as Death turned his c-chip on.

      "Yeah, displaying your words will make it a lot easier to understand you versus reading your expressions," I added as his screen projection from his holo-bracelet came up. He enlarged it so that Trik and I could easily see it.

      On the flickering screen, it said – THIS... –

      When I looked past the screen, I could see him gesturing to the state of the forest.

      Then the message on the screen changed to –HAPPENED BECAUSE I'M CURSED. NOT BECAUSE I'M SOME KIND OF GOD. –

      "Why would you think you're cursed," I asked him.

      The message on the screen changed again.

      – IT'S ALWAYS DARK AND DREARY WHEREVER I GO, AND ANYTHING THAT STAYS AROUND ME FOR TOO LONG DIES. EVEN NATURE. – The display then scrolled down, revealing more of the message. – OTHER THAN MY FRIEND, YOU TWO ARE THE ONLY OTHER PEOPLE WHO'VE GOTTEN THIS CLOSE TO ME IN A LONG TIME. I'M GUESSING IT'S BECAUSE OF THE CURSE-WARDING CRYSTAL AROUND YOUR NECK. MY FRIEND WEARS ONE SIMILAR TO IT ON A RING. –

      Well, that explains his fascination with the sky earlier: it most likely was the first time he'd seen it. But this curse nonsense needed to be addressed; I can't let him continue to believe that.

      "You're not cursed, and this," I held up my necklace, "isn't a 'curse-warding' crystal. It's a pure rupture prism that, basically, protects someone from other forms of energy like harmful radiation or, in my case, your overwhelming spirit energy. And your spirit energy is the cause of things dying around you and maybe even the dark clouds usually overhead... Actually, let's test it. Look at the sky and tell me if dark clouds start forming; I wanna test something."

      While he focused on the sky, I shrunk my field until he was outside it. The darkness immediately reemerged, and I could feel the weight of his unstifled spirit energy as it crashed against the field. After 30 seconds, I expanded the field until he was within it again.

      "So, did any clouds form?" I asked.

      – YEAH, HOW'D YOU DO THAT? – He responded.

      "Like I said, this crystal protects me from other forms of energy. It creates a field around me that's only visible to those who can see other's spirit energy. When Trik asked you to step forward, you stepped inside the field, which weakened your spirit energy enough for its power and influence to barely have any effect on us or your surroundings."

      – I GUESS THAT EXPLAINS THE RESTRICTION I'VE BEEN FEELING. –

      "Right, and when I asked you to look for the dark clouds, I reduced the field size until you were outside of it," I continued. "Since your powers weren't being suppressed anymore, the dark clouds began to reform – proving that your spirit energy is somehow creating them."

      After many moments of silence, Death finally responded.

      – OKAY, SAY I BELIEVE YOU ABOUT THE SPIRIT ENERGY STUFF. NOW WHAT? –

      I looked at Trik, who nodded as if to say, "Go ahead, it's your show."

      Turning back, I smiled at the idea of having my own student.

      With my eyes glowing, I looked at him.

      "Now, I teach you."
-------------------------------------
Liking the story? Follow my page so you don't miss out on future chapters 😊