Chapter XII: Viraa's Reveal

Alissia was excited to return home after being gone for over a year. She'd missed the joyful noise of its citizens and the wood scent that hung in the air.

      Eventually, after walking through the base, they reached the front doors of HQ.

      Alissia stared at the vast building, remembering when she was younger. She'd look down from her window, watching everyone scurry around within the base. She'd always watch desirously as people entered and left the base.

      As a little girl, she wanted nothing more than to go too, to explore the world beyond those walls. She'd always tell herself that when she could leave, the first place she'd visit would be the city of Phoenix that sat on the far horizon. That longing only grew after she learned omni-vision and noticed she could see further. She could see the buildings perfectly, and its citizens always headed to a million destinations.

      Unfortunately, she knew she was to be the next Watcher and would have to complete her training before being able to leave.

      She hated it at the time, but in hindsight, the training has proven helpful on multiple occasions, and she's now been able to travel to various cities and has brought home a Primordial, so all in all, it wasn't that bad.

      Alissia pressed the buzzer on the door then a voice from an intercom spoke.

      "Alissia! How've you been?" it spoke enthusiastically.

      "Kaia? That you?" I asked. "You're working security now?"

      Kaia was a close friend I had growing up. Her dad was Head of Security and would always bring her to HQ, hoping she would one day replace him. She, Trik, and I would always hang out during our free time.

      "Yep, just for part-time, though. Classes start back in a few weeks," she responded.

      "Oh, well we–"

      "Oh wow, who's the cutie?" Kaia asked.

      "Is he your boyfriend?" She whispered.

      Why was she whispering? The others could still hear her....

      "No, Kaia, it's just me," Trik stated as he reverted to his standard form. "I was using my camouflage mode. Thanks for the compliment, though. Although, I think this version of me is far more dashing than the other one."

      I looked at Tymon, who had begun to laugh. It was the first time I'd seen him laugh. I found it wholesome; it made it seem...brighter.

      Trik had somehow taken offense to Tymon laughing and asked him what was so funny about that.

      I stifled my laugh to try to show maturity. It's been over a year; I'm a Watcher now and even have a Primordial with me. If I wanted to be taken seriously, I couldn't be seen as the kid I used to be.

      "Kaia, this is Tymon. He's the Supreme Primordial Death. We're here to see my mom and dad."

      "Really? Doesn't he seem...young?"

      "Kaia, please. The door."

      "Oh, I can't let you in," she stated.

      "What?"

      "There's a new system now. I suppose I should've told you that already. I only buzz authorized guests in. You're programmed into the system, so touch the pad, then put in your code," Kaia instructed.

      I placed my palm on the black screen under the buzzer, and it lit as it scanned my hand. Then, the screen glowed green and slid sideways to reveal a number pad underneath it. After inputting my code, the front door clicked and cracked open for us.