Chapter XXII: Judgment Hall (Pt.3)

"Trevor, we'll be expecting an update concerning Michael soon," Verin suddenly called out.

      "Hopefully, you don't get caught this time. We'd hate to have what happened that other time happen again," Wren said, teasing Trevor.

      "What's she talking about," Avarice asked him.

      Trevor looked at Wren, who was covering her mouth to feign innocence.

      "I...got in a fight with Michael about 60 years ago. And lost," Trevor said. "He was just too fast. Michael could dodge almost everything I threw at him, and the few wounds I gave him healed instantly. Then, he started attacking with some superfast technique that I could barely dodge. But it wasn't just fast but powerful, too; they created deep lacerations in the ground and cut through everything. For someone who's supposed to be a saint, the guy fought like a demon. I only managed to escape by detonating myself, making it hard for him to get near me. Then, I suppressed my spirit energy and hid until Michael was far away. Even then, I decided to run instead of fly; that way, I wouldn't be sensed."

      "In the battle to come, Michael's abilities pose the greatest threat," Junichiro said. "He will undoubtedly be the most difficult to subdue for Father's cause."

      "Yeah, not only can he heal himself, but he can heal others, too," Wren added. "Normally, taking out the healer first makes the most sense, but how when he's invincible?"

      Avarice began tapping his finger again.

      "Yes, Michael is a problem," he acknowledged. "Due to his speed and regenerative capabilities, at the moment, he's the only one we can't subdue, but it's an issue I'm trying to find a solution to. For now, though...."

      Avarice rose from his throne and walked over to Trevor. He placed a hand on his shoulder and said, "I'm proud of you."

      "W-Why?" Trevor asked.

      "You survived going against Michael alone and even managed to escape someone faster than me," Avarice said.

      "Yeah, but only because he didn't use his hybrid form," Trevor said, disheartened.

      "Don't be so hard on yourself. The fact that none of us knew about this fight unless you told us means neither of you was using your full strength. Otherwise, we'd sensed it. But, as I said, I'll figure out a way to even the odds a bit; that way, next time, victory will be achievable," Avarice said encouragingly.

      Even though they were all monsters, Za'Fia couldn't help but see how much they cared for each other and treated each other like family.

      If they weren't so twisted, they might've been decent people.

      "Now that we're on the topic, I don't want any of you engaging Michael or Tymon alone," He warned as he looked at Wren, Junichiro, and Trevor. "As you know, they both possess abilities that'll put you at a disadvantage if you fight them alone. So, if you find yourself in a situation where you need to fight, consider retreating if it's either of them. Still, don't start any fights either; we can't jeopardize the final phase by starting a war with them yet."

      Out of nowhere, everyone heard the beeping of a truck backing up coming from outside.

      Verin used the tablet to remotely open the doors as a guy brought in various large crates. Since his spirit energy was close to Vicki's, Za'Fia assumed he was also a Sub Deity.

      Avarice sent Junichiro to grab the shipments of PRP and JANUS from the truck. After all of the shipments were unloaded, and in their respective locations, Avarice had Trevor begin installing a newly developed machine for unknown purposes.

      He mentioned the current supply being the last bit of PRP on the planet, so they'd have to be conservative.

      Za'Fia didn't know what they were up to but knew it couldn't be anything good for the others.

* * * *

Trik was feeling less and less secure about the mission lately. They'd gotten a glimpse of Avarice and Verin the other day but couldn't gauge their power, which was concerning.

      Then, Avarice somehow caused the death of a bunch of people without displaying any of his power.

      At least Tymon was more competent in controlling his power now, but with his inexperience, he could still become a hindrance later.

      If only he could convince Za'Fia to talk to Tymon, she could teach him things they couldn't, like how to use his hybrid form. That should be his next step.

      "Trik, we're here," Alissia said, breaking Trik's thought.

      They each landed in front of Tymon's house. Tymon suggested they go there to make their next plan and to check in on Za'Fia.

      Trik had encouraged this decision.

      When they arrived, none of them sensed Za'Fia there.

      "I figured she'd be here," Trik said as they walked toward the house.

      "Me, too," Tymon replied. "I haven't heard from her in the last few days either."

      Walking into the house, they noticed scorch marks and burnt tiles on the floor near the door.

      "Was there a fire," Alissia asked.

      "No, the marks are only here. It's as if a fire broke out but was contained here instead of spreading," Tymon said as he touched the soot.

      Trik and Alissia looked at each other in silent agreement.

      "Hey, Tymon...," Alissia began.

      "Wait, what's this," Tymon said as he picked up something from the floor.

      It was a holo-bracelet. Za'Fia's holo-bracelet.

      When Tymon powered it on, it showed them a recording of being taken by a tall Japanese guy named Junichiro, and a blonde woman, called Wren. Za'Fia had let herself be taken to prevent them from being attacked.

      After the video ended, Trik and Alissia looked at Tymon as he stood before them.

      Even though Alissia was calling his name, he remained scarily silent. Since they couldn't see his face due to his back being turned to them, Alissia tried to approach him slowly.

      "Tymon? It's fine; we'll find her," she said, trying to reassure him.

      Trik grabbed her wrist and shook his head. At the moment, he wanted to put at least three kilometers of space between them for their safety.

      "Let's giv–"

      Suddenly dark energy began to rise from Tymon like steam and violently rushed toward them. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope everyone's enjoying the story so far! I mean if you made it this far, you gotta be, right? We got about a quarter or so of the book left! Be ready as we continue to slowly kick things into high gear and end the book on a high note! (peep emoji)