Romeo and Juliet (5)

The next morning, a large crowd of students amassed outside of the auditorium to catch a glimpse of who got which part. Kokichi and Himiko stood behind the crowd, waiting to see the results themselves. They didn't have to wait long, however, because Kaito began shouting the results. 

   "WHAT?!" he exclaimed. "Second understudy for Romeo?!" 

   "Looks like I got first understudy," Rantaro said. "Well...that's fine. I'm sure Makoto will make a pretty cool Romeo." He smiled and nodded at Makoto.

   "Thanks, Rantaro!" Makoto replied, nodding back to him. 

   "Nyeh...what's an understudy, Kokichi?" Himiko whispered. 

   "Hmm...if I'm not mistaken, an understudy is pretty much a substitute," Kokichi explained. "In case the person who's *actually* playing Romeo can't perform for whatever reason, the understudy is there to take their place."

   "Ooo, I see!" Himiko replied. Then, she slumped her shoulders in disappointment. "Then...Kaito didn't get the part, after all." 

   "That's fine," Kokichi replied with a devilish grin. "That's actually what I was hoping for."

  "Really?!" Himiko asked. Kokichi nodded at her. 

   "Mhm!" he said. "But, let's listen to what the others got."

   "I've got the role of Tybalt," Gundham said, crossing his arms as he mulled over the results. "Hmm...not what I would have preferred, but if it's the role that has been chosen for me, then I will play that role. Nay, I shall slay that role the same way Tybalt slays Mercutio: magnificently!" 

   "Oh...haha, spoiler alert," Nagito said. "Well...if it's for the sake of hope in the play, then I'll gladly be slayed by you, Gundham."

   "What?! *You* will be playing Mercutio, Nagito?!" Gundham asked. Nagito nodded. "Hm...then perhaps playing the role of Tybalt will be more amusing than I thought," Gundham mumbled to himself. 

   "WHAT?! I'M NOT JULIET?!" Junko roared suddenly. 

   "Who got the part, Junko?" Nagito asked. 

   "Ugh...HER!!!" Junko growled, pointing at Sonia. Sonia's eyes lit up. 

   "Yes! Rock on! I am Juliet!" she exclaimed with happiness. Then, she looked at Junko, who was fuming. "Oh, I mean...I am terribly sorry, Junko. I am sure you would have made a wonderful Juliet."

   "Well, duh, I would have made a wonderful Juliet!" Junko spat. "I would have made the best Juliet in the whole, entire world! Instead, I was made *first* understudy, then Sayaka, Kaede, and that Maki girl as the other understudies!"

   "Oh, my! Maki is the final understudy!" Himiko whispered to Kokichi. She felt her heart drop. "Poor Maki! Usami said she was really good!"