Chapter 8: Painful Memories

They made it back to the village before nightfall and Winson easily fell asleep in Lilith's arms during the trip back. Phil was really worried about the incident today while Winston tried to fly a dragon, but Lilith told him that he will be alright.

She laid him down on his hammock and tucked him in while Dr.Alice did a check-up on him. Later during the night, Lilith and Phil were having a conversation in her hut while drinking some tea.

"So you can't go back?" She asked.

"No, because I accidentally killed the general's son and Winston and I have a price on our head for treason and murder." Phil explains as he drank his tea.

"I see. Captain Rick is the reason why the human military and the mining corporation took advantage of our peace sharing agreement." She spoke.

"Yeah because, he thinks your kind is nothing but inferior, but I never agreed with what he said. He even bullies the new recruits, including me and Winston just because we're young and I had enough with him that I fought him and his friends in the mine just to defend myself and Winston. Then, I accidentally pushed Rick and he fell to his death as his body splattered at the bottom floor of the mine. We were able to escape, and you found us. And here we are." Phil explains as he chuckles a little.

"Well at least you cared about our kind. But, I bet there will be a war soon, if General Vince finds out we are hiding you from them." Lilith says with concern.

"Ah, don't worry. I bet they think we're dead already anyway." Phil says.

"So tell me. What caused you to be drafted in the military at a young age?"

Phil sighed as he knew that he had to tell her someday to gain her trust from her.

"I was drafted at the age of five, after my mother abandoned me in the city."

"Why would she abandon you?"

"I never knew. She just took me to the ice cream store and after she bought me some ice cream, she just told me she needed to get something from the car. However, I just heard the car just drive away, and she was gone. A few days later, by the overpopulation laws of Earth, I was drafted a few days after the cops found me hiding in the alley. I was part of the military for ten years and never had a great childhood since I had to learn to hold and fire a weapon, kill enemies from different countries on our planet over world supply disagreements. And after that, I was accepted into this mission to live on Xena to help the military protect the mining company to collect the prox minerals for world supply. I never knew why my mother would do that to me." Phil explains.

"Sorry that happened to you. You never deserve that." Lilith said with sympathy.

"Human lives don't matter anymore since there are too many." He said as he shook his head.

"What about Winston?" She asked.

"He reminds me of my young age. But he had to endure his parent's death. He told me that his parents died in a car accident. He survived it but his parents didn't. And they just put him in the military and made him be part of the Xena mission. It wasn't even fair for him to see his parents' funeral or let him have a chance to be adopted just because he's just another person to be at the front lines of the military. Like human lives don't matter anymore just because our kind is overpopulated." Phil explains.

"How many more soldiers that are only kids here?" Lilith asked with worry.

"Only 35 percent of the human military here are children that are only under the age of seventeen." He answers.

"Bloody hell..." She says.

"I know. I'm mad how our government is right now. I never wanted to go back to Earth because I bet it's hell just to get a piece of bread or get anything to drink that is pure water or anything for basic survival." He said.

"I understand how you feel. Look, you and Winston can stay here and be part of the tribe, but eventually, we might have to go to war to protect our world from General Vince if he keeps taking advantage of destroying our world with their excessed mining on the fragile environment."

"I am with you. I will help you fight if something goes wrong."

"You already are. You just need to prove your wisdom to my father." She spoke.

"I will."

"Good go get some rest, You and Winston will have another trial tomorrow."

Phil finished his tea and headed back to his hut and went to get some rest. Lilith starts to have some odd loving feeling towards him, but brushes it off.

Meanwhile at the human base, General Vince was still angry about his son getting murdered and there were no leads yet of where Phil and Winston are.

"Did you find those traitors yet?" He asked.

"No, not yet." The sergeant says with disappointment.

"Well keep looking and find them dead or alive. They will pay for treason and for my son's death." Vince says as he slams the desk with his fist.

"Yes sir." The sarge says before he leaves.

Just then, the leader foreman of the Mining company named Lenny Turner comes in with frustration about the pay cut that he and his employees received.

"General Vince. Explain why you are cutting our pay for last week?" Lenny asked as he put down the notice on the desk.

"Look, things have been hard for us since the government is struggling financially to pay us as well." Vince explains.

—--------------

Lenny Turner—-------------

Lenny Turner
—-------------

"General, Me and my employees working our asses off on getting these prox minerals out of the caves and you should pay us fairly and better respect and protection from your men." Lenny says with frustration.

"Just give us some time. We are financially struggling for supplies and food." Vince says.

"Fine. But if this bulleshit keeps up. We will quit." Lenny warns before he storms off.

"Just you wait. I'll take over your company by force."