THE ATTACK I

RETEKA

I hummed as I patted my hair dry looking around the barracks. They are empty except for me. The reserved forces are forced to return to their homes due to lack of military provisions. I braided them and went to blow out the oil lamp kept in the corner when I felt a chill going down my spine. The atmosphere was calm. Much more silent and calm than it should be. I saw a shadow run across the wall infront of me.

Without waiting for anyone I took out the dagger hidden on my calf and stabbed the intruder's neck. It chocked on the gurgling red blood which looked more titan than crimson due to yellow light. I looked at the now dying person and then at the dagger in my hands and blinked. Once and twice. Maharaj Ayudhik's sayings echoed in my brain.

Never feel guilty over someone's dead corpse especially if that person tried to kill you first. In this world only strongest survives

I ducked as someone attacked me from behind. Rolling below the table I reached towards my bed where the staff was kept. I used it to block the two attackers as I kicked one in the crouch successfully making him down for the time I dealed with another. Few other people jumped in the barracks as soon as soon their associates fallen down. After a bitter battle of being outnumbered I managed to knock off or injure them to the extent they can no longer be a problem. I looked at my abdomen where on person had managed to stab his sword. The injure was neither deep not poisonous but the entire place is throbing with pain.

I looked around at the intruders around me trying to figure out why someone will attack the already empty barracks. My eyes widened. The barracks were emptied put only this evening. Not many people know about it. The regular patrolling gaurds were halved their initial value. Maharaj Ayudhik are not present in the fort but no one knows about it. Is it an attempt of annihilation of Suryagadh fort. My logic said as my heart agreed. I immediately sprinted out passing through the empty barracks. As soon as I came towards the periphery I found few soldiers in our uniform pouring fuel over the outer wall.

If they managed to ignite it. The eastern most region of fort will be blazed and the possibility of that fire spreading into the city is quite high. Without wasting much time I charged towards them. Their heads rolled down before they can make slightest of noise. My eyes sharpened as I tried to listen to the sound of rushing of footsteps or thuds of bodies. Hearing nothing I began to ponder. What will be the next most vulnerable place in entire fort on which our existence depends.

The granary and artillery. Both of the resources are spare and will hit a nerve is damaged. I sprinted towards the westmost part of fort where both of them are located. I found bodies litter the ground some are in our armours and some are in the black cloths. I didn't paid any attention to them. Running past them. Unaware of the cold blood sticking to the soles of shoes or the overwhelming smell of death. The adrenaline pumping in my blood as I ran towards my destination. I saw the a bright blaze at the topmost tower of palace indicating a palace seize.

I saw a darkness covering entire Chand Mahal. From everything I know about my sister one thing is that she is terrified of darkness. She even sleep with the lamps alight. I heard the clashing of swords and grunts of people. I had two choices, either the possible arson or life of my sister. I choosed the latter. I own her one life after all she had save mine on that terrible day.

-------------------

My feets tapped lightly on the marble floor looking around in the darkness. Only few small lanterns were lightened casting monstrous shadows over the blood matted red walls. Like the outside grounds the floor was littered with bodies of maids and guards alike. I kept my eyes trained on my surroundings as Dravi and Gayatri ji had taught me. Constant Vigilance. The enemy won't declare their presence before attacking.