Chapter 9

Avalon Faulkner

"Relax," I speak into my phone, holding it between my ear and shoulder. I stick my key into the lock, twisting it and pushing my door open. "I said I'd take them tomorrow and I will."

"Are you sure you can handle both of them?" Amaya unsurely asks.

I sigh in frustration. "I've taken care of them before. Why don't you trust me anymore?"

"It's not that I don't trust you. It's just that the two are just coming off of an ear infection and have been fussier lately." Amaya explains.

"Even Chloe?" I furrow my eyebrows, placing my bag on my coat hanger. I kick off my high heels on the mat and smile in relief as my bare feet hit the cold floor.

"She's the worst out of the two." Amaya groans. "But I'll take your word. I'll drop them off after Chloe gets out of school, got it?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'll see you guys tomorrow." I playfully roll my eyes. "Love you."

"Love you too, Avie. And thanks again." I can hear the relief in her tone.

I chuckle, ending the call and placing my phone on the kitchen counter. I walk over to my bathroom and turn on the light, catching a quick glance of myself in the mirror.

My new uniform is so similar to what I'd wear in New York that it made it easier re-wearing my outfits. I've been working at the office for almost a year now. I've moved up to a full-time editor and have edited five published books so far.

I slide the gray blazer off and toss it into my hamper nearby. I remove the hair clips and hair tie holding my hair together. My hair falls out of its bun and I pull out the hair donut, setting it aside. I exhale, massaging my scalp due to the tightness of my hair.

I only wear my hair up once a week now for these same reasons.

"Jesus," I whisper.

I turn off the light and head over to my dresser, picking out more comfortable clothes to be in. My phone starts to vibrate against the counter, making me slightly flinch. I reach over for my phone and slide the button before checking who it is.

"Hello?" I breathlessly say, catching my balance.

"Avalon!" Zayn greets. "Hey. How are you?"

"Hey." I smile. "I've been doing well. Nothing new. What about you? How are you? How's Jade?"

"That's actually why I called," He clears his throat. "Jade and I are getting married."

I nearly choke on my saliva, coughing unexpectedly.

"Avalon?" He asks.

I cough more, patting my chest to get myself to stop. I catch my breath, clearing my throat as I speak. "When the fuck did you get engaged?"

"Valentine's day." He awkwardly says.

"It's April, asshole. You never told me? You got engaged and never once thought to mention it?" I gulp.

"I wanted it to be a surprise." He awkwardly laughs.

It's a surprise, alright.

"Zayn what the fuck?" I say in shock. "My best friend is getting married? So soon?"

"You and Harry were going to move in after a month of dating, might I remind you."

I cringe at the memory, "Okay, okay, you're right. But you're getting married and never once thought to call me in the two months since it's passed?"

"Life gets in the way. Jade got immediately into planning mode and dragged me along with her. We're having two weddings actually. We were hoping if you could at least make it to one?" He hopefully asks.

My voice cracks. "Two weddings?"

"A Pakistani wedding and an American wedding. We're traveling to Pakistan to celebrate with my family next weekend and two weekends after that is the American wedding. It's May 15th in New York. Jade and I would love it if you came." He explains.

I bite down on my tongue, feeling a weird pit in my stomach. "You know I have to ask."

He exhales. "Harry's my best man. He kind of has to be there."

"Right." I gulp again. "He'll be there."

"Can't you two put off your differences for one night? We'd love it if you came. We'll even pay for your hotel and flight."

"No, I would never make you guys do that. I'll uh- - I'll think about it, okay? Thank you for the invite. A little engagement heads-up would've been nice but thank you." My voice starts to change.

"I'll send you more information as the day gets closer."

I nod. "Yeah. Thanks. Oh and uh congratulations again. I'm happy for you if I didn't mention it earlier."

"Thank you. I hope to see you next month."

"We'll see. Bye Zayn."

"Bye." He murmurs.

I hang up the call and stand there in silence for a second.

He's getting married? I guess I never expected anyone else's life to change so drastically after I left. I'm happy for him, I really am. I would love to go to the wedding but- - it's been almost two years.

I never planned on seeing him ever again and I'm expected to see him at a wedding of all places. Our reunion is going to be at a wedding? I don't know.

I'd be a wimp if I missed my best friend's wedding because of him.

There's also New York.

I haven't been there in nearly two years also. The last month in New York wasn't the best experience. Do I want to be constantly reminded of everything in New York?

What would I even wear? What would I give as a gift? Can I even sit through a wedding ceremony? The last time I did I held back tears.

Who would I even sit with at the reception? Certainly not Harry. What if I lounge at the bar the entire time? What if I just pop in to say congratulations and leave while trying to avoid Harry?

No.

I should just stay home. I'll send my congratulations virtually. I'm sure Zayn will understand. He'll have to. I'll make up some lame excuse about work if I have to.

It's settled.

I won't go.

For the hundredth time, I won't face my problems. I'll simply avoid them and hope for the best.

Because I never want or plan to run into Harry Styles ever again.