Chapter 14

Avalon Faulkner

I agreed to go out with Harry for one reason.

Arguing our sides on how we felt wasn't the best communication. I know I didn't get my side across and neither did he. I want this to be a civil conversation between the two of us.

For once, I want to hear about him personally and not through stupid tabloids.

It's 7:25.

Going out with Harry was the last thing on my mind when last-minute packing. I did manage to bring my favorite pair of light-wash jeans and a black shirt. It's not the best thing in the world but it certainly is casual. I let down my natural curls and went with simple makeup.

I don't know why I feel so nervous. My stomach feels like it's tied into a huge knot.

I stand in the hotel bathroom, applying another thin coat of lipgloss. If I stare at my reflection any longer I'll start picking out every imperfection.

But this is not a date. It's nothing romantic. Just two strangers getting to know each other again. Strictly platonic.

I walk out of the bathroom and straight to the nightstand by the bed, grabbing my clutch purse. I inhale a deep breath and rest my hand on my stomach. Why do I feel so nervous?

To distract myself I open my phone and look at the new photos Amaya has sent me of her kids. Our conversations have been pretty short with most of them being one-word replies.

I haven't told her my plans for the night. I can't let her know she was right, because she isn't. I'm not going to fall back in love or even sleep with Harry. It's nothing like that. What happened last night- - shouldn't have happened.

I don't know what came over me. I shouldn't have kissed him and especially shouldn't have made out with him.

I shouldn't have danced with him.

I told him yes because I knew it'd be the last time for us. The moment we stood on that dance floor and his hand was on mine, I was instantly brought back to that night. It's the one night I can remember every single minute of.

And so I rested my cheek against his chest because I wanted to savor the moment. I didn't want to make small talk or awkwardly look away the entire time. I wanted to savor the last time we'd ever slow dance together.

After tonight, after we get across our sides of our stories, I'll never see him again.

I'll go back home and live my life the way it was.

My body jumps as the sound of three knocks come from my door. I tiptoe to the bathroom and fix my hair one more time then walk to the door. I inhale a deep breath and slowly place my hand on the door handle.

On the other side of the door is Harry, holding a bouquet of pink roses. He's wearing all black with brown- - boots? In May? His shirt is unbuttoned at the top, subtly revealing his tattoos.

For the smallest second I catch his eyes traveling down my body. My eyes go to the flowers, a shy chuckle escaping my lips.

What the fuck was that?

"I thought you said this wasn't a date." I open the door wider.

He shrugs, "It's not. I'm just a gentleman."

He holds out the bouquet and I carefully take them from him. I stare at the round bouquet for a split second then walk into my room again and set them on the edge of the bed. I walk back to Harry, gripping my clutch as I walk out of the room. I close the door behind me and walk next to Harry.