Chapter 12

Avalon Faulkner

The unlimited bar is starting to hit me. I've only had two small cups of Pepsi and two shots and I feel bloated. I've been sitting at the bar, my back facing the crowd, for the entire time.

The reception is beautiful. It's night out but all of the lights make the entire place look so peaceful. I've managed to stay hidden at the bar, constantly refilling on Pepsi.

I've been here for two hours. I got here pretty late though. The party had already been going on for a while before I showed up.

Zayn and Jade have been all over the place greeting people and taking wedding pictures. There's not a split second where they're alone and not doing something.

As for Harry, he's been mainly sitting at the front table. He's gotten up a few times to greet some people and he's talked to a few groomsmen. I think he's been picking at his food for ten minutes now.

I feel like I'm undercover just sitting here and watching. I've mainly kept my back turned to the crowd but I've looked over my shoulder a couple of times.

My feet hurt from running this morning. The amount of Pepsi I've had probably isn't healthy. I should go up to them so I can leave already. I don't know what I expected coming here tonight.

This is my best friend's wedding. I should be celebrating along with him and his bride. Instead, I've been sitting in complete boredom at the bar. I've gotten pity stares and constant refills from the bartender.

I'm a horrible friend.

I lean my chin against my closed fist, staring off at the city view. I let the mellow wedding music take over my ears as the cool breeze sends chills through my body.

Although it's May, I'm a little chilly. Another excuse to leave.

I look over my shoulder, my eyes scanning the floor until I spot Jade's white dress. They're talking to another table with big smiles. I inhale a deep breath, finishing the last of my Pepsi.

I get up from the stool, brushing myself off. I fix my hair and inhale a deep breath. I stumble a few steps as I regain strength in my legs and get used to the pain in my feet. I walk over to Zayn and Jade who seem to be walking away from the table, arm in arm. My heels click against the floor as my heart beats in my ears. I ignore everything around me and only keep my focus on the two.

I pick up my pace to catch up to them, getting closer to Zayn first. In a few short steps, I'm standing behind him and Jade.

I tap on his shoulder and gulp. Chills run up my arms as both of them turn around. The scene was something out of a movie.

They both turned around in what seemed like slow motion. With smiles on both of their faces already, their eyes widen and mouths drop as they fully look at me.

"Holy shit," Zayn says in shock, a big smile on his face.

"Surprise." I grin, both of us leaning in for a hug.

He tightly hugs me, swaying me from side to side. He pulls apart, putting his hands on my shoulders. "Holy shit. You came!"

I grin, looking over at Jade. We both awkwardly lean in for a hug and I say into her ear, "Congratulations! You looked stunning up there."

Our height difference even with Jade wearing heels is a little awkward. She's a short person.

"Thank you for coming." She smiles. "Seattle to New York isn't exactly a short flight."

I shrug it off. "I decided to come here on a whim. I couldn't miss your guys' wedding. It was a beautiful ceremony, by the way. You two looked stunning up there."