Prologue

This chapter is an edited version of a chapter from [Dilemma] with the same title.

....

Please feel free to correct my writings and relay your frustration in the comment! :)

____________________

As time passes and night finally comes, I start to get dizzier because of the gigantic crown on my head. The row of combs that helps to steady this heavy thing had been digging into my hair for a long time, which for sure will yank some of my strands if I remove it by myself. My neck has been throbbing for some time now because of the weight of this pure gold accessory, which I guess weighs around a bag of a medium-sized potato sack.

Adding that I've been having difficulty breathing properly this entire day, due to the iron-jewelled belt that has been digging into my rib. The darn thing even squeezed my sides right now because of my kneel-sitting. The heavy feeling from multiple layers of our traditional wedding clothes starts to weigh down my shoulders, slumping me down as I keep my unmoving position. I keep my eyes down while trying to be as rigid as I possibly can so I won't attract the attention of someone else inside this room.

Someone that I had just gotten married to, forcefully.

I'm scared of him, scared of what he will do to me. I fully believe that he's a terrifying man, proven by how ruthless he was when he invaded my country. He destroyed my home and killed many innocent people that I familiar with my whole life. All for that cruelty just to own me, all of that bloodshed just to get me, a man that incapable of giving heir, to be his bride.

Lunatic and senseless. Very much... terrifying.

I even felt how terrifying he is when we stood at the altar earlier. How his onyx orbs pierce into mine the entire moment we uttered our vow and drank the unison wine. Luckily, the red veil helps to faintly block my vision for the entirety of the ceremony. But now, the thin layer of my last protection is threatened to be ripped off and fully show me how horrible my life now is.

I can hear the sound of his footsteps not far from the bed I'm sitting on. The sound of his socks rubbing the wood, the sound of his robes grazing the floor. Every small sound that he made seemed to intensify because of the lack of other sounds around us.

There are no soothing sounds of cricket or low-pitched sounds of bullfrogs from the pond. Nothing bleeds in this highly decorated red as the fragrance smell of incense fills this dimly lit room. Nothing seems to help ease my fear. In fact, it worsens the feeling of being inside this highly-erotic room with a terrifying man accompanying you.

I really don't want to be here tonight, on this bed and be violated by this man. But, what other choice do I have? I'm not the one who held any power to resist. If I don't do this... who knows what he will do to my people? Who knows... what other ruthless things he will do to destroy my country?

Suddenly, he stops his pacing around and it makes me let out a small jolt in surprise. I then can see the tip of his red robe come into my peripheral, slowly approaching and eventually blocking my vision once he kneels directly in front of me.

In the heat of the moment and out of instinct, his presence made me move away by shifting backwards. But my attempt is quickly thwarted as his wide palm suddenly grips my upper arm tightly, sending another jolt of surprise into my body. It urged me to slowly shift my eyes, finally seeing his face as though the blurriness of my own red veil.

He brought his other hand towards me and lift the veil of my face, clearing my vision to finally be able to look at his handsome feature more properly.

It truly is ironic, how can a man as handsome as he has such an ugly and vile heart. And it's truly more terrifying for me how my appearance is the cause of my own kingdom's downfall, and this is the only way for me to save its people.