15

Please feel free to correct my writings and relay your frustration in the comment! :)

____________________

The more Eri thinks about it, the more confused he will get. Because no matter how he sees the situation at the temple earlier, the way Masahiro reacts to High Priestess Raya's advice is odd.

She just told Masahiro to be more gentle. But that alone ablaze his ego. It is so scarred that apparently, turns The Emperor's moods sour and even leaves Eri's side as soon as they reach the Main Palace's Royal resting quarters.

Is Masahiro's personality already so rotten that every piece of advice to be more compassionate and tame becomes offending? If that's true, then that doesn't mean good for Eri's end.

But knowing Masahiro's true colour as someone ruthless and inhumane is also odd. Because what Eri feels and experiences contradicts what he sees. Sun people's smiles are so genuine. They love and respect their Ruler. Even the little Western girl the earlier night before clung to Masahiro without fear.

And speaking of that little girl? Who is she, anyway? Is she Masahiro's child? But the girl's appearance seems too Western to be Masahiro's child.

It's odd. Everything is odd. What an odd Man Masahiro is and his Sun Kingdom.

After sighing to ease his confusion, Eri's attention then being brought back by Jakob's voice as the man opens the door in front of them before allowing Eri to enter, "Lady Eri,"

Seeing Jakob's Western appearance, Eri begins to wonder if the little girl earlier is Jakob's child. But This blonde man himself seems too young to even have children. Perhaps a little sister? That makes the most sense.

Feeling the stare, Jakob raises his eyebrows in wonder, "What is it, Lady?"

"Nothing," Eri answers with his voice since there's nobody but Royal guards around them while averting his gaze away, knowing it's rude to stare at someone too long. He then looks around rather than entering, noticing someone that supposed to be always by his side is now missing, "Where is Mai? I haven't seen her anywhere since we were out of the temple."

There is a pause in between them as Eri notices Jakob's hesitation. Before Eri can point it out, however, the blonde replies to the question, "She is now in the servant quarter to make a report and arrange for your Lady's needs. It is a requirement. She will come as soon as she's done."

Eri feels suspicious of Jakob's behaviour. Why the slight hesitation? And then he remembered what Masahiro bestowed on Mai before. The punishment.

"She's being punished, isn't she?" Eri voices out.

Jakob notices The Lady's upset expression and tries to make out a reason that is tame enough to ease the situation, knowing he can't lie to Royalty, "It is only a light one. She will still be able to resume her position at your side in the morning."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Instead of feeling at ease, the reply agitates Eri even more, "You're saying as if the punishment given for her is not in a form of violence. Yet she is being tortured, right?"

This time, it is Jakob's turn to frown in displease, "The Emperor is not as bad as you think."

"He's not bad?" Eri scoffed in amusement, lips now laughing full of sarcasm and disbelief, "How am I supposed to think that way when he heartlessly bestows a punishment on my maid? And how can I consider him good when he's the one who kidnaps and kills my people without remorse?"

"...I know what he did to you and your people wasn't right," Jakob replies with the centre of his eyebrows going deeper, "Subjugating with the purpose of owning someone is not right. That far I know. But I just want you to know that it is The Sun's culture to be violent with their enemy--"