10

Please feel free to correct my writings and relay your frustration in the comment! :)

____________________

As the day continues to fade and the night begins to fall, it is time for the nobles and officials, including Eri of course, to have dinner. But instead of dining with the others in the dining room, he has requested to eat inside his room in private, using the excuse that he's still not feeling well to be out of the bedroom. Thus, the servants of the Izanami residence are now placing small plates of dishes on the table of the bedroom's seating area.

During the wait, Eri that is sitting on the side of the bed takes a glance towards the door. From where he sits, he can see some shadows of people on the other side of the paper window door. Mai has informed him earlier that those silhouettes belong to Emperor Ra's royal bodyguards that are tasked to protect Eri, standing rigidly as statues and not even leaving a single space that is big enough to not be seen.

...Protect, huh? Why does it feel like it's the opposite? It seems like Masahiro just doesn't want Eri to run away, despite it is pretty much impossible with his current condition and situation. Adding to so many threats being weighed on him, of course, Eri can't be selfish and choose to save himself.

And why Eri needs to be protected in a safe land? Isn't the Asahi Kingdom in alliance with the Sun Kingdom? So it is so unnecessary to put so many guards in front of his room.

As the thought mudded his mind, Eri tries to ease it by sighing in a soft yet long breath before gazing away from the door. The feeling of sorrow and weakness continues to stab his heart for the nth time.

In the middle of arranging, the servants and Eri get surprised when The Sun Emperor suddenly enters the room, head held high with the loyal bodyguards, which is more than before, standing at the other side of the door.

As servants bow deeply to the newly arrived royalty, Mai that had been standing on Eri's side all along greets to represent all of them, "Good evening, Your Highness."

Masahiro nods to reply before uttering a command, ignoring the curious stare from Eri that turns into a surprise after he utters, "Prepare another set of dinner. I will dine with my companion."

"Yes, Your Highness," the servants said in unison before excusing themselves out of the room. While ignoring Eri's dislike stare the whole time, Masahiro waits as the servants hurriedly come back while bringing another set and arranging them on the table.

Once the food is set, Masahiro then sits on his side as Eri is on the other side while being aided by Mai. In front of the row of Izanami servants, the Sun Emperor then calls Zhen that was standing with the other guards before pointing with his open palm towards the dishes without uttering any word.

Seems like it is a standard procedure to do. Because the head bodyguard bows in understanding before taking out chopsticks made out of silver and sticking one each on the food.

Throughout the whole process, Eri only looks at the process with quite an odd stare. This is because Mai has also shared knowledge that the family that owns this residence is one of Masahiro's in-laws and the ruler of the Asahi Kingdom. They're an ally, someone that The Sun Kingdom can trust. So, it is necessary to test for poison in a safe place and in front of the Izanami servants like this? Isn't that a little bit too much and... degrading?

After waiting some time to make sure the food is clean from poison, Zhen then takes the chopsticks back before bowing and informs, "The food is safe to eat, Your Highness."

Masahiro nods and dismisses the servants. When glances towards them, Eri sees that most of them sigh in relief before leaving and closing the door, leaving only Zhen to guard and Mai just in case Eri need assistance.