Chapter 4 - New Regular, New Suspicions

"Killua, stop talking bunk and help out with making the coffee will ya'?"

"Hey I'm telling you! He's not normal—"

"Quit blabbering and get back to work!"

Killua sighed as he lowered his shoulders in defeat, "So much for that..." he growled. As he was grumpily making the tenth order of the morning, another customer entered the cafe.
"Good mornin' sir! The usual?"
"Yes, please."
He turned his head over at the customer talking to his barista buddy, its was him... The man glanced at Killua, and they made eye contact. In a panic, Killua snapped his head back to the machine and gulped, hoping he didn't see him staring.
"We'll be working on your order, please, have a seat."
The man smiled and sat down at his usual spot. Killua glanced over his shoulder and observed him as always. "Alright y'know what? Maybe I am overthinking this... he's probably a normal guy! Yeah..." He whispered, leaning on the counter.

Gon didn't move an inch from the position he was in, he simply sat there— blankly staring at the birds perked on a tree branch. He already became a regular here, in fact, today was the fifth day of him visiting the cafe. But, he still hasn't made any progress with Killua. He sighed, drooping onto the table. "Why won't he just warm up to me... do I look scary?"
He checked his reflection on the window, combing through his hair with his hand. "Mm no, I look pretty attractive." He scoffed.
     "Your order... Sir."
Killua stood there holding the tray, avoiding as much eye contact as possible.
     "Thanks."
He put his order on the table and left without saying a word. Gon frowned, picking up his cup of coffee.
So far, he's noticed a few factors about Killua. Number one, he didn't seem to like it when Gon says his name. Number two, he isn't so social with strangers— probably an introvert. Number three, he acts off edge almost all the time, something is clearly off. And number four, he doesn't seem to like Gon... like, at all.

He took a sip of his coffee whilst he thought of ways to gain Killuas trust. He could've took the incognito route, but that would be way too hard to pull off. He'd probably get arrested for criminal harassment or something...
     "Gah... this is messing with my head."
Gon finished his coffee in an instant and paid at the counter. He noticed Killua staring again and gave him a small smile before exiting out the door.

"He's a pretty nice guy, don't ch'ya think?"

"Mm..."

Killua continued making and serving the coffee to the rest of the customers, trying his best to keep focused.

. . .

His shift had just ended, and he was closing up the shop with his co-workers. While he was mopping the floor, one of them began a conversation that took his interest.
     "Hey, you know that new regular?"
     "You mean Gon?"
     "Yeah him! He's really mysterious."
     "I know right? Must be popular with the ladies."
     "Probably, he's quite the attraction."
They chuckled as they continued mentioning the mans name. Killua put down the mop and removed his apron. "I'm... going home early, I have something to take care of." He sighed. "Seriously? You still have some cleaning to do!"
"No time for that."

"Now wait a minu—" The door slammed shut, and Killua was nowhere to be seen inside the cafe. "That guy..." Zushi scowled. Walking along the sidewalk, Killua gripped on the straps of his messenger bag firmly. He was really stressed with all the commotion in the cafe, so he had to make up an excuse to leave.
"Gon this, Gon that... whats so special about him anyway."
He scoffed, leaning against a tree. He began to wait for a taxi, and once one came by, he got in and made himself comfortable.
     "Zoldyck Estate, please."
     "Right away Sir."
He leaned into the car seat, taking a deep breath. Life wasn't going so well for him, especially since his younger sister had recently been assassinated. Not only has he been filled with the feeling of grief and guilt, he was also fearing the fact that he himself, may be the next target.

He and his family were showered in wealth, and yet here he is— working in a small coffee shop. His parents weren't so fond of the idea, but it made him happier than stamping and signing papers all day. Though at this point, he's sure it isn't safe to be out in public anymore. "I wish I could be reborn as someone else... honestly." He sighed.
"We've arrived, Sir... Zoldyck."
Killua got up, paid the driver, and left. He entered his home and was greeted with the bright lights of the main hall.
     "I'm home..."
     "Ah, welcome home Kil'."
There stood Illumi Zoldyck, Killuas older brother. "How was work?" He smiled slightly. "Stressful." Killua replied. Illumi frowned as he watched his younger brother slowly make his way up the stairs. "Her death has really got to him huh?"

. . .

"Alright everyone! Todays a new day. Lets serve the customers with a bright smile!" The manager yelled enthusiastically, trying to energize her employees. Everyone, excluding Killua, cheered with her, and they all walked over to their stations.
"I wonder why she does that every morning, Its not like we're going to war." Killua chuckled, wiping the counters. "Don't laugh at it! She's trying her best to be a good manager." Zushi huffed. "Yeah whatever you say."

This time of the week, it was Killua who had to talk to the customers. In other words, he's assigned as cashier. He didn't quite like all the talking, but he had no choice. He looked up from the counter and saw Gon approaching him, which made him jolt up a little... sheesh. "G-good morning! The usual...?" He followed what the other baristas say, hoping not to mess up or slur his speech. "Morning, I think I'll have something different today..." Gon smiled, looking at the menu above Killuas head. "I see... what would you like?"

"Do you still have that drip on coffee?"

"Ah, yeah. We still have that."

"I'll be ordering that today, please."

Killua nodded and called out to pokkle, who was in charge of the coffee station that day. "Pokkle! Could you make one drip on coffe? For Gon." He said, turning his head over to him. "On it!"
"Your order will be here soon, please have a seat while waiting." Killua smiled, eyeing the man in front of him. "Much appreciated, ki'." Gon said, walking away to his seat. Killua blinked in confusion, "ki'...?"
"Heh, seems like the regular gave you a new nickname." Pokkle teased. "What? Thats not fair! I want a nickname from a regular too!" Ponzu whined.
"Oh shut up you two."
"What? He seems pretty fond of you Killua."
"I know."
Killua sighed and continued serving the customers in line. He did in fact notice Gons subtle liking to him, and in all honesty he thought he would feel uncomfortable about it— but he somehow didn't mind at all.

He glanced over at the regular, he looked as mesmerizing as always— staring outside the window like he was in some sort of Hollywood movie, Killua chuckled. He realized that Gon wasn't so bad after all. The way he talked, the way he always greeted everyone with a sincere smile, the way he made Killua feel... relevant.
     "He isn't so bad..."
     "Who?"
     "Nobody!"
Pokkle laughed and brought the finished coffee to Killua. "Here, bring this to Gon for me." Killua looked down at the cup and raised and eyebrow. "Aren't you supposed to—"
"Just do it dammit, I'll take over the cashier for now." Killua shot him an annoyed looked and sighed. "Fine." He took the coffee and approached Gons table.

"Heres your order, uhm... Gon." He muttered, placing the cup of coffee on the table. Gon showed a slight expression of surprise, he didn't quite expect Killua to say his name. He smiled, knowing he's finally made some progress.

"Thanks ki'."

(1355 Words)
A/N: Yayayayayaya New chapter.
I'll probably be updating this like one to two times a week.
I hope thats okay 🫶