Chapter 5 - Lets be Friends

"Make sure to be home before your curfew Kil', you don't want to worry mother again."
"Yeah yeah, I'll be back by then. Just save me a slice of Mothers pie for me, will ya'?"
"Sure."

Killua hung up the telephone, gently snapping it back into the handle.
The date checked as January fourteen, 1924. It was early in the morning, and Killua had just left the house a few minutes ago. His brother had called the cafes telephone knowing he would visit there first.

It was a Saturday, so Killua was off shift— but he still went to check on the cafe out of habit. "Who was that?" Zushi asked from behind the counter. "My brother, as always." Killua sighed. "At least he cares man."
Killua watched as Zushi scrubbed the used coffee mugs with a cheeky smile on his face.
     "You look so pathetic like that—"
     "Wha— whats with the random insults!"
     "What? It's true! Why'd you take the extra shift anyway?"
     "Man you know how desperate I am."
     "Mhm... its a pity."
Zushi scowled while Killua laughed his way out of the cafe, getting a reaction out of his favorite barista buddy always made him feel better.

As he was walking alongside the side walk, he felt as if someone was creeping up from behind him. Suddenly, they tapped his shoulder— and out of instinct, he threw a hard punch towards their face. "Agh—! God thats a strong punch." The person stumbled back, applying pressure onto their nose in which was the area that suffered the impact. Killua glared at them for a brief moment before realizing who it was. He flinched slightly as the guy lifted his head.
"Oh my God Gon?! I am so sorry I—"
Killua threw his arms around trying to think of what to do. He noticed blood dripping from Gons face, which made him panic a lot more. Gon only laughed at this though, he was actually quite impressed.

He wiped the blood off his face, but it only kept oozing out of his now broken nose. "It's alright, I can barely feel anything." He laughed, attempting to wipe the blood away for the second time. "You're obviously not! Here— let me get you to a doctor." Killua took Gons hand and sprinted to the nearest infirmary. "Ki' I told you Im fine—"
"Shh! I broke your nose you fool!"

Moments, possibly hours later they found themselves in a doctors office, awkwardly sitting in front of the surgeon. Gon had almost half his face covered with bandages, most of them bloody. "So, how did... this, happen?" The Doctor asked, squinting at the two adults. "I uhm... accidentally broke his nose...?" Gon snorted at the remark whilst Killua glared at him. "So I assume you'll be paying the charges?" The doctor sighed, rubbing their temple. "Y-yes..."

Gon could barely talk, let alone breathe, but he was so close to letting out an entire laughing fit. Killua on the other hand felt more than embarrassed to have 'accidentally' assaulted one of his cafes favorite regulars, he wonders what his manager would think of this. "God I hope I don't get fired..." He whispered, look down at his feet. The doctor clears their throat,
"Sir... uhm, I'm sorry whats your name?"
"Gon, Gon Freecss."
"Ah, Sir Freecss here will have to stay with us for a week.
You may visit him or stay with him in the room, whatever you prefer."
Killua huffed and glanced over at Gon. Gon thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get along with Killua, so he decided to tug on the strings.

"Ki', you got me in this situation, so you might as well keep me some company." He grinned, crossing one leg over the other. "Are you serious? I'm not your mom." Killua scoffed, crossing his arms.
     "Ki'."
     "No."
     "Kiiiii'"
     "Absolutely not."
     "Ki' please."
"We barely know each other—"
The doctor cleared their throat louder than last time in order to put an end to whatever silly debate they had going on just now. "Sir Zoldyck, I'm sure you have some time to spare. You did break this mans nose after all." They said, eyeing Killua. Gon looked over at him with another satisfied grin. "Doc I have to work—"
"I'm sure your manager will understand."

Killua sat there with his mouth agape, and Gon couldn't help but chuckle. Now the two had to share a hospital room together for an entire week, good news for Gon, horrible news for Killua. "Now, the nurses will escort you to the room. Freecss, I suggest not moving too much when walking there."
Gon nodded and got up slowly, but was immediately pulled back down by Killua.
     "Wha—"
     "Don't you dare get up without my help."
He looked at him confused before sighing with a smile on his face. "It's not like I broke my leg, but alright." Gon got up from his chair again, except this time it was with Killuas support. The doctor watched them intently, "Are you sure you... 'barely' know each other?" They asked, intertwining their fingers.
Gon and Killua looked at each other awkwardly.

"Yeah...?"

They said in union.
The two blinked a couple times before slowly backing out of the room, the doctor just sat in their chair and stared. "Why is he staring so much—?" Killua whispered. "No idea..." Gon whispered back.

They were finally out of the office and was currently in the hospitals hallway, this was where they met a nurse who looked to be their guide to Gons temporary room. "You two must be Killua and Gon, follow me." She said cheerfully. She happily skipped across the hall while the two followed her behind. Gon had an arm wrapped around Killuas shoulder, and Killua had an arm around Gons waist, for— support...

The nurse stopped in-front of a room and faced them. "This will be your room! Out of request the others have placed a complimentary bed next to the original one." She opened the door and they made their way inside. "Stay healthy!" She smiled, closing the door. 
     "Thats one damn cheerful nurse."
     "Yeah... creepy."
Killua helped Gon to his bed before letting go of him entirely, causing him to face plant onto the edge of the mattress.
"AGH— DUDE?" Gon scowled, holding his nose and praying it didn't get damaged any further. "Oops." Killua grinned.

Gon got up slobbishly and shot a playful glare at Killua. "Don't Ever. Do that again." He hissed, narrowing his eyes. "Yeah yeah okay." Killua laughed, hopping onto the bed opposite to Gons. Gon sighed as he flopped backwards onto the sheets, he began to trail his way into thought. To be honest, he never knew a broken nose would be this much of a problem. Well, in his time they just visit a doctor and walk it off after a few medical procedures— but here in 1920 the anesthesia wasn't so... advanced.

Due to that, Gon found himself half awake. 'Goddamit... this anesthesia is really messing with me...' He mentally sighed. "Hey Gon... uhm, is there anything I can do to make this up to you?" Killua asked, laying on his side to face Gon. "Mm...? You giving me company is enough." Gon replied, his eyes meeting Killuas. Killua smiled slightly, but dropped it after.
"I don't think thats enough, I did break your nose you know..."
"It was out of self defense..."
"Yeah but, seriously, what can I do to make it up to you?"
"How about we just... become friends."
"...Friends?"
"Mhm... lets be— friends..."
Killua paused for a moment, then flipped himself onto his back and looked at the ceiling.
     "Friends huh... that such an odd request."
He laughed. He expected Gon to say something, but he was met with silence. "Gon?" He jolted up, snapping his head towards the bedridden fellow. He then realized that Gon had only fallen asleep, and so he calmed down.
Killua sat there, admiring him. For a moment he thought of what it would be like to have a friend as unique as Gon, it didn't seem like such a bad idea.

"Sure... we can be friends." He smiled.

(1342 Words)
A/N: Mymsmyamsyams yay relationship progress!
I have no idea on how the concept of Killua accidentally breaking Gons nose made its way into this chapter but it happened somehow🤷‍♀️