Chapter Eight - Fucked Up Focus

May 4th...
Next morning

After a long while of kissing, eating, and sharing gentle smiles, Adrienne and Natasha knew that they had to go back to their respective homes.

So they did just that.

Adrienne, however, suggested that they should walk Natasha up to her room, and the woman agreed.

The elevator dinged, breaking Adrienne out of their daydream.

Natasha gently grabbed their hand and pulled them toward her room.

"Where the hell were you, Natasha?" They both heard behind them, causing them to turn around at the speed of light.

Natasha glanced at the members of her team.

"I went out," She deadpanned, turning around, but the team wasn't having her nonchalant attitude.

"You didn't call or answer texts for an entire day," Steve spoke up, worry in his eyes as he glanced at Adrienne, "But it's clear as to why you went AWOL on us," Steve continued to look at them.

"AWOL on you? I'm a goddamn adult, Rogers, I don't need to tell you every single detail of my life. You're not my dad, so stop acting like it," Natasha commented sternly at the man, a scowl on her face as she dragged Adrienne away.

"Natasha," Adrienne said, but the woman ignored them, pushing her bedroom door open.

"Natasha," They called again as the woman let go of them, slamming her bedroom door and locking it.

"Natasha," They said once more, holding the woman's wrist in their hand, stopping her from pacing.

Natasha looked up at them with a hard look.

"I think you should leave."

"Excuse me?" Adrienne asked, tilting their head in pure confusion.

"You've been fucking up my focus and I think it's best that you leave," Natasha nodded, looking into Adrienne's eyes.

"Give me an actual explanation, and then I'll leave," Adrienne crossed their arms.

"I've been jeopardizing the team...I should've known better than to fraternize with a former enemy-,"

"Is that all you see me as? A former enemy?" Adrienne asked as Natasha covered her face with her hands, walking over to her bedroom window, looking outside.

"The Avengers aren't just something that I can ignore and move on from. We're saving the world from harm, Adrienne."

"Answer my question," They demanded sternly.

"Please go...

"Fine," Adrienne shrugged with a meaningless smile on their face. "I'm not going to waste my time on you if that's what you think of me."

Natasha could've cried at their words, but she held it in.

"But answer me one question."

Natasha turned around to face them, not moving from her spot.

"Was there ever a point where you felt like this, us, was real?"

Natasha froze in her tracks, looking at the ground for a moment.

The silence was nothing short of deafening.

"Even if I did... you deserve better than me," Natasha said gently.

"Natasha... there's no one better than you for me-,"

"Is that because we have sex-?"

"No... that's because you check all the boxes of a perfect woman," Adrienne replied with a small ounce of confidence.

"Don't push me away," Adrienne said in a small voice, their eyes watering, "I don't want to lose you too."

"You won't lose me," Natasha replied almost immediately, looking into their eyes, walking dangerously close to them.

"There will always be a part of me that'll belong to you," Natasha leaned up slightly, pecking their lips, and hugging them tightly.

Adrienne didn't get that warm feeling inside their body like they usually would.

They just feel like this was so sudden.

What happened between yesterday and today that made Natasha change her mind?

"Trust me," Natasha leaned back, "It's for the best," She nodded with a sad smile.

And with that, Adrienne left the redhead's room, quickly going to the elevator, and soon onto their bike.

They zoomed all the way to their home and, as soon as they closed the door, let everything out.

'I'm sorry, Adrienne.'

They heard Khaos' voice for the first time after about 24 hours.

"Why won't she love me?"

'She said it herself that she always will...but you must realize that you were forcing yourself to assume that she was the one because you loved her differently'

Adrienne stayed silent and trudged over to their bed, landing on the soft material face first.

"Why does heartbreak hurt so bad?"

'Heartbreak hurts because your heart is involved. Your heart is vulnerable. And your heart specifically has always been soft and gentle and open...but you have been dealt terrible cards and, because of the results and who freed you, you fell for the first person that saw you for you.'

"Will I ever find love?"

'Eventually, my child.'

And with those words, Adrienne cried even harder, desiring for a hug at the moment.

Soon enough, they felt a gentle pressure on their back and a ghost-like kiss on their temple.

'I may not be able to come down to you, but that won't mean that I'll never give you affection from above.'

Adrienne just continued to cry at the affection while also cursing themself for crying like a child.

'Rest, Adrienne...you'll need it.'