Chapter Nine - Best Friends

July 19th...

2 1/2 months later...

Adrienne and the Avengers kept contact very limited.

Over the past 2 1/2 months, they had celebrated their birthday alone, unless you count Khaos then they weren't exactly alone, but it would've been nice to get an actual birthday card from a human instead of conversing with a relative that lives inside the Sun.

But besides that, they did nothing but train both mentally and physically, study, and cry over this time.

By training, they became stronger and slowly but surely got over Natasha. It took longer than they thought it would take, but progress is progress, and they did what they had to do.

With studying, they learned more about themselves. They practiced using their powers and getting used to them, and even using the powers that were out of body or involved bringing things back to life.

They had started by using dead plants and small animals, and they worked but, then again, progress is progress, big or small.

And with crying, they had the ability to just let everything out. The crying made them stronger, despite what HYDRA or the Red Room put in their head.

Currently, Adrienne was doing some paperwork that the Avengers had sent.

They did agree to be an associate of the Avengers over permanent jail time, after all.

Finishing off a document with a signature and pushing it away from them, they heard a knock on their door.

Sighing, they stood up from their couch, rolling their eyes when the knocking got more aggressive.

"Calm down, you're going to knock my damn door down," They said, opening the door.

They furrowed their eyebrows at the person in front of them, their breath catching in their throat.

"Natasha..." They spoke softly, looking the woman up and down. "What are you doing here?"

"I needed to see you."

"Needed to see me?"

Natasha held up a Manila folder. It wasn't too thick or too thin.

Adrienne hummed, grabbing the Manila folder and walking over to their kitchen counter.

Natasha took this as an invitation, so she walked after them, and closed and locked the door behind her.

"More paperwork?" They groaned softly, opening the folder with a clenched jaw and irritated look.

"Not your usual paperwork... a mission," Natasha kept an arms length away from them, analyzing their every move.

"Mission? You guys trust me on a mission?" Adrienne pushed the folder away from them, looking over to the woman.

"We trust you-,"

"Define the 'we' before you continue," Adrienne stood up and Natasha stayed silently, pursing her lips.

"Thought so," They mumbled, glancing back at the Manila folder before looking back at the woman.

"Steve trusts you-,"

"Does he truly trust me, or does he trust the fact that I could aid him in finding Bucky?" Adrienne interrupted.

The name left a strange taste in their mouth.

Maybe, it was because they were worried about the fact that Bucky was on his own.

After the two had grown closer back in HYDRA, they were inseparable and, now, they were more than separated.

"It's not like that-,"

"You know that it is like that, Natasha. Don't play dumb with me, I know you're smarter than that. Steve's entire fucking purpose is to find Bucky, and it's fucking obvious, and it's fucking bullshit," Adrienne rolled their eyes in irritation.

"It's not bullshit-,"

"How much do you wanna bet that he'll leave after finding him, hm?" Adrienne glared at Natasha, and the redhead sighed.

"I should've just sent the folder," She shook her head, turning around, but Adrienne grabbed her wrist, stopping her in her tracks.

"We have a lot more to talk about than Rogers," They mumbled, and Natasha turned around.

"We have nothing to talk about-,"

"Don't bullshit me," They scoffed, "We haven't talked about what happened to us in almost 3 fucking months, and now you're just gonna act like nothing happened and leave?"

"Fine, you wanna talk? Let's talk," Natasha said, storming over to Adrienne's couch, sitting on it.

"Why did you leave me so suddenly?" Adrienne asked, standing across from the woman, a coffee table in between them.

"We weren't good for each other-,"

"Bullshit," They called out.

Natasha stayed silent for a while before unclenching her jaw and uncrossing her arms.

"I had a dream that morning... before we left the cave," She started, "But it wasn't an ordinary dream, it was like a-,"

"Vision?"

Natasha nodded.

"You were with another woman. She was faceless, but all I saw was her hair... it was red. I watched as you two were flirting and all that relationship shit, and I was just spectating... watching as you fell in love with her and forgot about me," She concluded.

"It was just a dream-,"

"If you saw what I saw, then you would know that it wasn't a dream. It was like a vision that was sent to me and specifically me and I couldn't control any of it," Natasha leaned against the couch, looking up at Adrienne.

The two were consumed by silence for a few minutes before Adrienne broke it.

"Even if I do fall in love with someone else... I'll never forget you," They said in a tone that had no room for disagreement.

"Really?" Natasha spoke softly, her bottom lip trembling slightly, no matter how hard she tried to hide it.

"You've helped me through a bunch of shit and have been an amazing distraction from the rest of the world...it would be impossible to forget someone like you," Adrienne said.

Natasha stood up and walked closer to Adrienne and hugged them tightly, tears instantly staining their shirt.

"It's okay," Adrienne whispered, running their fingers through Natasha's red hair.

"Friends?" Natasha slightly backed away from the hug.

"I think it'll be impossible for us to just be friends... what about best friends?"

"What are you? 12?"

"Hey..." Adrienne said in faux shock, "Best friends are a very real thing and I think that we should be best friends."

Natasha could've burst into laughter at how serious they were being.

"Okay, yeah, fine. Best friends," She nodded her head, making Adrienne smile widely and hug her tightly.

"What do best friends do?"

"I think best friends tell other best friends that they should move into a certain Avengers tower."

Adrienne started to laugh, but their smile immediately dropped.

"WHAT?!"