Gala - ShinKamiDeku

[4382 words] I couldn't find who requested this :,)

When you knock on Midoriya's door, you realise that your hands are shaking.

Did you really care this much about a stupid annual gala?

You'd been last year, and even watched it on the television the year before that — your cat, Laila, curled up on your lap as you scoffed vanilla ice cream, not a clue that next year you'd get accepted into UA and would be attending the gala on the TV yourself.
So it wasn't a big deal right?
You'd done it all before.

Midoriya opens the door, his face lighting up when he sees that it's you.
"Hey! Come in!" He smiles widely, stepping to the side so that you can easily manoeuvre yourself into his small dorm.

He closes the door, gesturing you to have a seat before switching on the kettle.

"Tea or coffee?" He asks, looking at you over his shoulder as you fiddle with the silver studded promise ring on your thumb.
His arm automatically reaches over to the coffee granules — it was your favourite, and he knew it.

"Neither... Do you have hot chocolate?" You reply, his arm halting as his eyes shift to the other contents of the shelf.

He scans each row, making a little humming noise when spotting a sachet stuffed in the corner.

"You're in luck, it's the last sachet. Although... any reason you don't want coffee? You usually consume, like, fifteen cups a day." He chuckles softly, tearing along the crease.

You sigh, hugging a green pillow that you'd picked up from his sofa to your chest.
"I'm already super nervous about the gala... I don't think I need any of the extra adrenaline coffee'll give me."

Midoriya leans against the counter top as the kettle finishes boiling, his eyes trained on you unwaveringly.
"You're nervous again, mm?" He asks tenderly.
You nod to yourself, putting the pillow aside to swipe open your phone.

Scrolling through your phone was a habit of yours when the conversation was going to get awkward.

"Yeah... I mean, I told myself I wasn't going to be... but my stomach is going crazy. I feel like I'm on the verge of being sick." You mumble, eyes glued to your phone.

Midoriya sighs softly, moving to pour the now boiling water into your favourite mug of his — a blue one with all might's face stamped all over it like a pattern.

He mixes the hot chocolate sachet into it, choosing his words delicately.

"When I'm nervous, I find that digging my fingernails into the palm of my hand takes my mind off things. Or, if you feel able to, try and put yourself into a confident mindset, even if deep down inside you feel fearful. Sort of like an alter ego. I know it's a hard thing to do, but really, it helps." He offers, stirring the last few grains in before reaching into his mini fridge.

"Thanks... I'll try. I don't know why I'm so nervous really, I mean... I'm kind of stressed about my outfit. Hitoshi's meant to be bringing it here, but he hasn't even arrived yet." You huff, putting down your phone as Midoriya artfully squirts whipped cream into your mug.

"Shh, Y/N. He's a minute or so late, there's no need to panic. Just relax and enjoy your drink." He scolds you gently, carefully bringing the mug of hot chocolate over to you.

Your smile is a little strained as he passes it over, but the warmth of the mug soothes your nerves by a minuscule amount.

"Do you know where Kaminari is?" You ask him after taking a sip.