Part 4

The screen skips to later. Peter, MJ, and Mayday are playing Monopoly on the table.

"How come you didn't tell him about what you heard?" Johnny asked MJ.

"I did," she replied. "Peter told me to keep it to myself, so we can find out what she actually wants. I think a part of him was hoping it was innocent, though."

"You know what happened?" Jean realised, shocked. "Tell us!"

"I think it would be better for you to watch the movie," Felicia added, prompting more glares when it turned out she knew as well.

MJ: So, I've gotta ask. What's the future like?

Mayday: (hesitates) Well...

This was the big question. Everybody wanted to know, so they all leaned forward.

Peter: Just, say whatever you're comfortable revealing, May.

Mayday: Thanks, dad. So, um, well, the city is much, should we say, harsher?

"Huh?" Flash asked, wondering if anyone else understood.

"What, like those dystopian future stories?" Sue wondered. "That is so cool and terrifying simultaneously."

Peter: And what exactly do you mean by that?

Mayday: The city's, sort of become like a dictatorship. There's a curfew, so many rules, and the punishments for breaking them are so harsh that you might never recover for the rest of your life.

"Oh my god!" All of them gasped. That was something they could never imagine New York becoming. 

"How can this happen?" Jonah asked incredulously.

"I-I guess we'll find out," Franklin stuttered, incapable of even imagining his city turning into something like that.

George sighed tiredly. It looked like he had even more work to make sure the city didn't sink into hell.

MJ: Oh my god, it seems like something out of a dystopian novel.

Sue grimaced at the thought of thinking like the redhead. Not that she disliked Mary Jane overtly, but she felt something uncomfortable when watching her and Peter. The way they and Mayday were playing on screen kind of made them look like a family. That was something Sue did not like. So when Johnny teased her by saying that they thought alike, she immediately elbowed him hard, making him crouch, winded.

Mayday: Also, mutants are hunted down by giant robots called Sentinels.

"WHAT!" all the mutants in the room cried. Everyone else just looked at them worriedly.

Scott's eyes were glowing over his glasses, Kurt's watch transformation was flickering, Evan seemed to be growing spikes, Logan growled and unsheathed his claws on instinct, and Hank growled like an actual lion. Ororo, meanwhile, was glowing with lightning running over her body, Emma's body seemed to be made of diamond, Kitty was phasing in and out of sight, and Jean seemed to literally be on fire.

Rogue just buried her head, wondering if her mother had a point. Maybe Mystique was right, and humans were trying to kill them? Charles also lowered his head in pain. Everything he was fighting for, equality between mutants and humans, seemed to have gone unfulfilled in the future. Was it even worth it anymore? Maybe Erik was right.

"Uh, guys?" MJ started hesitantly. "This, isn't the future anymore."

Everybody in the room looked at her. "And what, exactly, do you mean by that, Ms Watson?" Charles asked, hoping against hope that they could fix this.