Chapter 2: A Regretful Soul

|Jake's POV|

Why was I so stupid!

Why the heck would I say those things! Oh, now Hailey's crying, Zander's furious, and I'm kicked out! I panicked, crying my eyes out.

I tried to stand up from my kneeling pose, but stumbled over back onto the rough, carpeted floor of the music room. I looked up, my vision blurry through my tears, the posters of different competitions from different years stapled to the walls. I saw posters that came from different school's competitions, even ones from my middle school. My stinging eyes suddenly fell on one specific poster. It was one featuring Hailey and the rest of the band. I sniffed and wiped my eyes with my jacket sleeve. I shakily stood up and glanced around the room. I then reluctantly walked out of the door of my favorite place in school for the last time.

                                                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Jake Sterling!" A voice hollered. I turned around, eyes still red and puffy, to find Daisy storming down a hallway, heading towards me.

"Wh-what?" I asked, confused, and also a bit scared. "Why were you kicked out of the music club!" She pleaded, desperate for answers.

"I- I don't want to talk about it..." I sighed. Daisy sighed back.

"Jake, I you are amazing at singing! Fight for your dreams! Don't give up on yourself!" She insisted. I nodded sadly and turned away. Daisy looked back at me, disappointed. Her usually bright, soft blue eyes, were now dull with concern and exhaustion.A tear fell down my cheek while I was walking away as the bell rang, signaling lunch.

Ugh, lunch. I thought. Another day I'm lonely.

I grudgingly dragged my feet to the cafeteria. I shot a fiery glare at Drew and Zoey who were talking to each other, Zoey twirling a strand of her hair around her finger with a pleading look in her eyes, while Drew looked exceedingly bored. Drew's eyes lit up at the site of me, but he recoiled at my glare. He mouthed, 'What?', but I ignored him, furiously walking towards the lunch line. I saw Luke and Zander sitting at a table from the corner of my eye, and even then, I could see Zander glaring at me. His eyes were wide with fury and I quickly looked away. I suddenly remembered something, though. I hadn't seen Hailey there. Was Hailey still in the lunch line? Bye now I was further into the line, picking up random food items set on trays. I glanced further up the line but didn't see her anywhere. Had she left? Where was she? I quickly payed for my food and sat down at table near a window. The table was empty and pretty dirty, with empty ketchup packets and milk cartons laying around. I picked up my peach and took a small bite out of it, looking out the window. The trees were swaying in the soft breeze, which I could feel from the slightly opened window. Suddenly, a car slowly drove by. Shannon's car. And inside of the car, looking out of the window, I saw a familiar blue-haired girl.

Hailey.