Chapter 4: A Surprise Visitor

|Hailey's POV|

I was sitting on my bed, scrolling through my photos.

There were tons of and tons of photos in my album, but I had time on my hands. A lot of time. I was scrolling through my music club photos, trying to smile at the pictures of Zander and I, or Milly hugging me, or me tussling Luke's hair. But my face wouldn't budge. No matter what I tried, I just couldn't smile, not with... not with Jake on my mind. I sighed and swiped to the next photo to find a photo a Jake and I, my hand behind his back and making a bunny ears gesture over his head. He was gently pushing me away, laughing. There was a huge grin on my face, my teeth showing. Those were the good days. To my surprise, a smile started tugging at the corners of my mouth, but I forced myself to paste a frown on my face.

He lied to us. He joined for Daisy, not because he loved music. Don't smile, don't smile. I told myself, guilty and full of grief. I shut my eyes tightly and turned my phone off. I covered my face with my hands, trying not to think about Jake, and how much I had liked him. I rubbed my eyes and got off my bed, stumbling slightly. I dragged myself to the kitchen to grab a small snack. I passed the room that the band had practiced in when they had come over. I glance quickly at it, but immediately looked away as my mind instantly switched to Jake. I checked the time on my phone, wondering when Zander would arrive.

5:30. Why is Zander so late? I thought. Suddenly, the doorbell rang.

"Can you get that, Hailey?" My mother, Shannon, said from her office. I walked to the door and opened it, to find Zander and Luke standing at the door.

"Hi, Hailey. Are you... are you ok?" Luke asked timidly. I looked away and nodded my head, rubbing my arm. Zander sighed and quickly hugged me.

"Just so you know, I'm here for you." Zander quietly said, earning slight smile from Luke.

"Ok." I whispered back. All I really wanted to do right now was go back to my room and sulk. And... I also wanted to finish writing my song... with Jake. Zander and Luke were walking off, so they didn't see my shake my head, trying to throw off the bursts of happiness when I remembered Jake. But all that was going through my head were images of Jake and me hanging out, getting boba, or ice cream, or being at the park, or making music with each other. All I wanted to do was sing with him again. See him again. But I knew that couldn't happen. I was startled out of my train of thoughts by a loud ring, the ring of the doorbell.

"I'll get it, mom!" I yelled to my mother, Shannon, before she could ask me to open the door. I turned the cold doorknob and opened the door. Standing right in front of me was a familiar face framed with familiar peach hair tipped with red. The same person I had just been thinking about.

"Hi, Hailey." Jake said.

(A/N: GUYS ARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH 558 WORDS THE FREAKING HECK)