Chapter 11: Misunderstood

|Hailey's POV|

Why can't they just forgive them? He did so much for them, and this is how they repay him? I thought, crying my eyes out while sitting on my light blue bed. I tried to stop crying, telling myself to hold my tears in, but it didn't work. I was sobbing to much already. I stopped the moment I heard a knock on the door, and thinking it was Mom or Dad, I wiped my tears.

"Come in." I shakily said, catching myself before I started cry again. The doorknob twisted as my purple haired brother came in. I gasped and quickly turned away.

"Hailey?" He asked quietly, slowly stepping inside my room. "I- I'm... sorry." I turned back around with a shocked look on my face.

"You... trust him? Jake, you believe me that he's actually a friend?" I asked, my tears fading from my cheeks. He lowered his eyes for a moment, then looked back to me, staring into my soul with his usually piercing periwinkle eyes, which were now soft and gentle.

"I wouldn't trust him, Hailey, not if you weren't here." He paused for a moment and then continued. "But I trust you, and I trust your judgement. If you really believe he's our friend, then I will too." He finished and came a little closer, extending his arms. I rushed out of my bed and ran into his arms, squeezing him with a giant hug.

"Hailey... I might have to breath-" He wheezed, earning a giggle from me.

"Thank you, Zander." I said, releasing him from the hug. He smiled back and began walking out the door, before stopping just outside of my room.

"And, hey... if you ever need to talk, I'm here." He said, smiling, before he went back to his room. I collapsed back onto my bed, my mind flooding with relief. At least Zander trusted Jake now.

                                       ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

|Jake's POV|

The walk home from Hailey's house was the worst so far.

It was worse than all the times I had walked home alone, watching the Music Club talking together and laughing, while the Jomies were joking around and teasing each other. But I was alone, and it was worse now than ever before. Tears were creeping down my cheeks, and I didn't try to stop them. All I wanted to do right now was cry, go home, and cry some more. And... I wanted to go back to Hailey.

What? Jake! What are you thinking! Hailey's just a friend, and I shouldn't even be worried about that right now! Or ever! I forced myself, horrified at my thought. Why would you think that! I like Daisy, not Hailey! I shook my head to shake away my thoughts, rubbing the back of my neck in embarrassment, even though no one was there to see me blush. I snapped out of my thoughts at the sound of a ding. I grabbed my phone from my pocket to find that Hailey sent me a text.

🫐Hailey🫐: Can you call?

I typed 'Sure', and clicked the call button. Hailey immediately picked up, and she had a relieved look on her face.

"Hi, Hailey." I said, as bright as I could. She smiled back and passed the phone to someone. Someone with purple hair. Her step brother, Zander.

"Zander?!" I stuttered. I couldn't believe he was there.

"Hi... Jake." He said grudgingly. He sighed and continued. "Look, I'm sorry. I should have given you a chance. And if Hailey trusts you, well then... so do I." He smiled and added,

"Douchebag."

I stood there with my mouth gaping open, still surprised that Zander had apologized to me.

"Th-thank you, Zander." I stuttered, starting to realize that we were friends again. "I swear I won't let you down."

"You better, Nimrod." He chuckled, then hanged up the phone. I slipped my phone back into my pocket and sighed happily.

I wasn't misunderstood anymore.