Chapter 8: Deja Vú

|Hailey's POV|

I was sitting on a bench in Rosy Hill Park, waiting for Jake.

Don't worry Hailey, he'll come. He's always late, remember? I told myself, giggling at the thoughts of Jake being ten minutes late to every music club meeting. I quickly glanced at my phone and looked back up. In the distance, I saw a peach-haired boy wearing a familiar black jacket. He saw me and waved, and I waved back. He arrived at the bench I was sitting on and smiled.

"Hi, Hailey!" He exclaimed, a big, doofus looking grin on his face. I smiled, guilty thoughts running through my mind of his happy I was to see him again.

"Hi, Doofus." I joked, earning a soft punch from Jake. "So... do you want to get ice cream?" Jake nodded and ran towards the ice cream stand near us. I rolled my eyes and smiled.

Classic Jake. I thought, then stopped. Did I really know Jake as well as I thought I did? I mean, he did betray the club with the voiceover, and here I was, getting ice cream with him. I was snapped out of my thoughts by Jake's voice, now farther away.

"Hailey! What flavor do you want?" He called to me, eyeing the flavors in the ice cream stand. I ran towards the stand and scanned the flavors.

"Hm..." I muttered, thinking about the flavors. I scanned the flavors again, slowly, with Jake by my side giving me a bored look. From time to time I would choose a flavor and switch immediately after, earning dirty looks from the dark-blue-haired waitress.

"C'mon, Hailey! We've been here for 10 minutes!" Jake insisted. I glared at him and pointed to the flavor 'Blueberry Blast'. The waitress sighed in relief and scooped up the flavor, placing it into a chocolate-dipped ice cream cone, sprinkling sprinkles and boba pearls over it and handing it to me. I started to hand her a five dollar bill when Jake stopped me.

"Here, I'll pay Hailey." Jake offered, handing a ten dollar bill to the waitress as he grabbed the ice cream cone the waitress handed to him. "The princess doesn't have to pay!" He winked, making me blush furiously and turn away. I lowered my eyes and focused on my ice cream. I licked the cold, soft ice cream and looked back up. Near the entrance of the park, I saw a pink haired girl next to a lighter haired boy, both walking into the park. My eyes widened and I grabbed Jake and pulled him behind a tree, causing a drop of his ice cream to fall.

"What the- Hailey! What are you doing?" Jake exclaimed, blushing furiously as I pushed him behind the tree, our faces 2 inches away. My head was turned around, eyeing Milly and Elliot. I saw them disappear behind a hill and I sighed with relief. I turned back to Jake and suddenly realized how close we were. I stumbled back, startled at the feeling of deja vú. (Remember this? 😏)

"Oh, my god, I'm sorry Jake!" I rubbed my arm, looking like a tomato. Jake rubbed the back of his neck, looking even more red then I was, if that was even possible.

"It's... fine..." He muttered squeezing his eyes shut. I glanced back, looking for Milly and Elliot, and secretly happy that Milly wasn't there to see what had just happened.

"Well... do you... just want to take a walk?" He asked, the red gone from his face. He licked his peach flavored ice cream as I nodded slowly. We started walking on the sidewalk, awkwardly licking our ice creams and stealing glances at each other. My mind was rushing with thoughts of the encounter, guilty happiness hidden deep in my heart. I angrily blinked my eyes, bitterly forcing thoughts of him out of my mind. I tucked a strand of hair that had fallen out of place behind my ear, earning a glance from that made me blush more.

"So... how's life?" I asked, trying to get a conversation going, my instantly regretting asking such a stupid question. Jake rubbed the back of his neck again and began speaking.

"Well... I guess it's kinda miserable." He joked, sorrow flashing in his eyes. I nodded awkwardly and took a sharp breath.

"So... why'd you... um... pull me behind that tree?" He hesitantly asked. I turned red again and averted my gaze.

"I- I saw Milly and Elliot... I think Milly might ask him out today." I said as positively as I could, trying to avoid Jake's question.

"Oh... ok." He responded, finishing his ice cream and licking his fingers. I crumpled my nose and gently punched him.

"Ew! You have a napkin for a reason, Doofus!" I taunted, Jake sticking out his tongue in response. We continued walking through the park, talking and laughing like old times. I pushed down the feelings of joy and... and love in my heart. I was so invested in our conversation, though, I failed to notice one thing.

Milly was hiding behind a tree, listening to us.