Chapter 20: The Finale

|Hailey's POV|

Today was the day.
The day of the competition. I was backstage, having an existential crisis as usual, but this time it was because I was so stressed and excited and nervous all at once. The rest of the club were talking, as though everything was normal and they had done this before. Even if they were freaking out on the inside, it impressed me that they were even able to keep it in. I was visibly hyperventilating and Luke and Milly had already tried to talk to me about it, but I said I was fine and pushed them away. Suddenly, a door that I hadn't even known was there opened. A peach haired boy popped out and closed the door behind him, letting it fade back into the dark background.

"Hi, guys!" He said brightly. "So, how are you guys holding up?"

"Hi, Jake, and we're doing good. I mean, most of us are." Milly said, pointing to me. Jake looked towards me and his eyes widened.

"Hailey! What the heck?!" He gasped. I smiled shakily and laughed.

"You should see your face, Jake." I giggled. His mouth made a funny 'O' shape and he looked kind of like a fish. He smiled sheepishly and rubbed the back of his head. He was a slight red color and he looked very embarrassed.

"That was on purpose, I swear." He said. I smiled at his stupid, cute face, and he turned even more red.

"Next up, we have... the Music Club from Rosemeadow High!" The announcer said. The whole club squealed in excitement as we all exited from backstage. I glanced over my shoulder towards Jake and saw a glimpse of the thumbs up and wink he gave me. I smiled and turned back around, stepping into the huge space. Lights flooded into my eyes as I blinked a few times to adjust to the brightness. All of the instruments were already set on the stage, and the microphone I would be singing into stood in the middle. I noticed another microphone set near mine, and I felt my heart sink a little.

That should have been Jake's. I thought, then shook the thought away. I can do this. I know I can. The music started with Zander softly playing his keyboard, and then the rest of the band followed. I waited in fear for my cue, gazing over everyone in the audience.

I can't do this. I thought, my eyes widening. I felt like I was gonna cry. I counted the moments until my cue which was coming closer and closer every second. 3... 2... 1... But nothing came out of my mouth. The band paused, looking at each other in worry. I tried to push the song out of me, but everything I tried failed. I just couldn't freaking do it. The I saw Jake, giving me a confident look. He had this gaze in his eyes, almost telling me I could do it. But I couldn't. I mouthed, 'I can't do this' to him and his widened. But the worry on his face quickly washed away and was replaced by a newfound determination. He hesitantly inched closer to the stage and picked up a a mic from the back. I looked at him questioningly, ignoring the snickers from the audience and the worried whispers of the judges. I brought the mic closer to his lips and began to sing.

Remember when it was us two
Nothing we couldn't get through
Was it the way I held you

His voice echoed in the now silent room. He bit his lip as I glanced at him, and continued.

You told me that it was over
But those nights you were never sober
Show me the place you fell to

I screwed up and left you
But there was something I read through
Now that I know that regrets true
'Cause I'm missing the small things

I quietly joined in, remembering the lyrics of the song.

When I messed up and left town
Put it to bed, let my guard down
But all the words that I read I'll forget now