Chapter 10: A Soundless Voice

|Luke's POV|

"Calm down, Zander," I pleaded my boyfriend, who was sitting on his bed, breathing heavily. "I'm sure Hailey has an explanation." He sniffed and looked up at me.

"Will she? She went of her own free will, she wanted to." He lowered his eyes. "I want to protect her. But I can't. She'll be hurt because... because I can't protect her." He lifted his head and looked at me, his eyes brimming with tears. I felt horrible, like I was about to cry. I couldn't bare to see Zander blaming himself for Hailey's actions.

"No. Zander, it's not your fault." I said gently, kissing his forehead. "Don't blame yourself, please." He lowered his eyes again and a tear fell down his face. At that exact moment, the sound of the front door opening echoed throughout the hall, all the way to Zander's room.

Who could that be? I wondered, walking towards the front door and leaving Zander behind. I opened it to find Hailey, Hailey freaking Austin, standing right in front of me. My look of shock turned into a look of betrayal, but changing back into shock as I saw Milly and Elliot appear behind her. Then came a gasp of shock as I saw the one person who I hated the most. The one who had hurt my boyfriend and best friends. Jake.

                                                   ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Luke?" A voice called, followed by a hand waving in front of my face. I snapped back to reality to find Hailey in front of me, with a worried and slightly regretful look on her face. Milly shoved her way past Jake and Hailey and accusingly stomped her foot.

"Talk some sense into her!" Milly was on the verge of tears, straining to fight them back. "Tell her that Jake isn't worth her!" Hailey was already in tears, hurriedly wiping them away. She ran into her house, stumbling and falling to the ground. Jake started to walk towards her before Milly pulled him back.

"Don't you dare come even close to her!" She shrieked. Jake ignored this and ran to her. He bent down and brought her to her knees, then picked her up. She was now crying even harder then before, hiccuping as she talked.

"Why won't you guys forgive him? Don't you guys miss him? If you cared enough, you would forgive him." She cried, letting go of Jake's hand. "He's not out to kill us!" Elliot was standing quietly by Milly, tapping her shoulder.

"Milly, she has a point. He's sorry. He wants you guys back. And... you miss him, don't you? He's the reason Luke and Zander got together, plus he offered to give his laptop to Sean when he lost it. He's done everything to deserve your friendship, but..." He whispered, cutting off at the last words, implying Milly's mistrust of Jake. A betrayed look flashed in Milly's eyes as she glanced at him, turning back to me after a moment.

"He hurt Zander." I said in an icy voice, which was very rarely used by me. "He tore Hailey's heart apart, and he betrayed the rest of us. He doesn't deserve our forgiveness. He doesn't deserve us." Jake's eyes widened and he stumbled.

"I- I'll leave. You guys h-hate me, and as much as I want to change that, it- it never will. I understand." He murmured, his voice cracking and breaking with sadness. He started towards the door, walking faster as Milly yelled,

"And don't you dare even think about coming back!" She screeched after him, slamming the door after him as he walked out. Hailey choked on her tears, then ran out of the entry hall towards her room. Milly looked on with a helpless look, looking back to me right after.

"Why won't she understand? I mean- we're trying to help her- and... she just denies that Jake isn't trustworthy." She sighed and started towards the door. "We best be going. See you tomorrow, Luke." Elliot nervously nodded a goodbye as the two walked out the now opened door. I looked towards Hailey's door. It was shut, and it was silent, not a sound coming from it.

Poor Hailey, I thought. Maybe... maybe I should have listened to her. Maybe Jake isn't so bad after all.

Oh. My. GOSH. I literally procrastinated for SO long on posting this chapter. From my note from earlier, you can tell that I had NO ideas. With my 3 remaining brain cells, it's kind of hard to think of good chapters, not gonna lie- 😂
This chapter is kind of horrible, but I was really short on time this whole 2 weeks, sooooooooo- I'll try to make a better one next time <3

Bye, my Blueberries! 🫐 🦋