Chapter 3: Refused Thoughts

|Zander's POV|

"Zander? Zander!" A voice called, not to far from me.

I shook my head and stuttered, "Wh-what?" My head was still raging with angry thoughts of Jake's stupid face that hurt my poor sister, who had now left early from the school. My mother had texted me that Hailey was racked with grief and wanted to come home. (A/N: no ducking way she actually texted him that quack quack 🤦‍♀️🦆)

"Chill, Zander. I know that you're thinking about Jake. Don't think about his stupid, bratty, idiotic additude." Luke seethed.

I sighed heavily and rubbed my eyes. "I know, I know! But I can't stop thinking about the voice over. Just when I was starting to trust him, and when Hailey was starting to get used to him too! Poor Hailey..." I reluctantly took a bite out of my grape-jelly sandwich as Luke supportively patted my back. I suddenly saw blonde hair tipped with red out of the corner of my eye, and I immediately knew who it was. I whipped my head in the direction of Jake, and gave him a furious glare, tears forming in my eyes as I remembered Hailey's grief struck face when she had confronted him. Jake's head turned towards me and quickly turned away, hurt and regret in his eyes. I angrily sighed and turned back to Luke.

"I hate that little-" I muttered, cut off by a voice.

"Hi, guys." A dull voice said. I turned around to find a pink-haired girl holding a lunch tray, her face angry and sad at the same time.

"Hi, Milly," Luke said, as brightly as he could. I nodded towards a seat by Luke, implying for her to sit there. She nodded back at sat down on the seat of the circular table.

"So... who's going to be lead singer now?" Milly asked timidly. I looked at her in confusion.

"Hailey, obviously. Who else?" I answered. Milly bit her lip and sighed.

"But what about her stage fright?" Milly reminded me gently. My eyes grew cold and hard, remembering my sister's stage fright.
(A/N: GUYS NARRRR NO WAY I JUST SAID HIS EYES GREW COLD AND HARD)

"She will be fine. She's gotten over it, she doesn't need a douchebag like him to sing." I replied sharply.

"But-" Milly started. She stopped upon seeing my 'and that is final' expression. She lowered her eyes and continued eating her burger. Luke's expression said 'why are you being rude to her?' I looked away sharply, instantly regretting my words. Luke sighed and grabbed my hand.

"Zander, I agree that Hailey is strong and an amazing singer, but do you really think she would be able to sing alone?" Luke asked gently. I moved my gaze towards Jake who was sitting alone at a desolate table. I remained silent, knowing the truth but refusing to admit it, even to myself.

The truth was, he knew that Hailey wouldn't be able to sing without... without Jake.