iv. at the rivercourt

GREEK TRAGEDY ::  iv

GREEK TRAGEDY
:: iv. | at the rivercourt

Weeks had went by since Lucas was scouted by Coach Whitey and each week had gotten worse. Lucas, Chad, Ryland, Haley, and Ashely were all getting fed up with it. Nathan and his team kept targeting the poor Scott boy just because he decided to take the opportunity that presented itself to him.

Even though it was all bad, there was one good part. Jake is on the team, so he's been around and helping Luke out. The more luke gets to know him, the more he finally sees what Ryland had talked about. Jake was becoming suspicious and maybe it was oblivious to the team but not to Luke.

Everyone was in English class. Ryland in the back, Peyton in front of her with Lucas a row in front, diagonal while Nathan sat in front of him. The seating arrangement was a bit off if you asked someone.

The teacher was walking around, giving his lesson. It was merely on words and interpretation.

He approached Lucas, "What do you see when you look at Peyton? Describe her in one word."

Lucas turned back at peyton, "Lonely."

"Teach, I got one for Lucas." Nathan raised his hand, "Bastard."

Snickers were erupted throughout the classroom. The teacher told them to quiet down so they could move on but Chad stood up, he was in the mood for defending his friend — best friend.

"I got one for Nathan — failure. Still trying to seek daddy's approval?."

Nathan stood up, his face frosting. He was about to charge at Chad but Lucas intercepted and tackled his half brother to the floor. Chad came up behind and punched Nathan back down as he was trying to stand up.

The three went at it as the teacher tried to get the other off. Tim joined in and helped the teacher get Chad and Lucas off of Nathan. The boys were separated, staring at one another as the teacher told them to go to the office.

Lucas was getting tired of everything. Chad was done with his friend getting bullied and he thought it was about time someone helped him out. He didn't care if meant himself getting in trouble, he was just done with it.

• • •

Later that day Lucas, Haley and Ryland were supposed to meet up at the movies. The girls had just gotten there, standing outside as they waited for Lucas.

Lucas was walking around the corner in an alleyway, he was just about to turn to meet his friends when a bag was thrown on his head. He was picked up and shoved into a back of a van.

The girls waited for another five minutes but he didn't show. Haley texted him as her and Ryland went into the theater. They paid good money for this movie and they weren't going to waste it just cause he didn't show.

Once the two got to their seats, Ryland had a thought that came across her mind.

"You don't think it was Nathan again, right?"

Before Haley could say something, her phone buzzed. She pulled it out and opened it, reading a text from Lucas. He asked if Ryland and Haley could meet him back at his house. Haley showed Ryland the text and she agreed.

The two got up and left the movies, immediately heading to Lucas'. He talked to his mom about everything and if having a one on one match would help the situation, then so be it. Him and Nathan were going to have a throw down at the Rivercourt, midnight sharp. Lucas needed all his buddies' support.

Once the two girls got there, he filled them in as he changed out his muddy clothes in his closet. None of them thought it was a good idea at first. Ryland thought what if it was a setup or something. Lucas reassured her that everything would be fine as long as he had his friends' support.

"Fine, but you owe us another movie." Ryland's arms crossed over the other.

Lucas lightly chuckled, "For sure."

So word was spread around town about the epic show down between the Scott brothers and that no one should dare to miss it.

Eventually, that time came. It was ten minutes from midnight.
It was time to end this once and for all, for Lucas. He and the girls left his house, then began to head to the rivercourt.

• • •

Chad and Ashely snuck out the house and got in Chad's car. He began driving both of them to the rivercourt to cheer on their friend.

All of enemies were going to be there. People on Nathan's and people on Lucas'. It was a tell tale to all. Who was going to come up on top? That was the lingering question in everyone's minds.

After five minutes, Chad pulled up next to a red car, Peyton's car. Nathan had just arrived and everyone around the court began cheering.

Before Nathan walked onto the court, he had to speak with Peyton first. He told her about the game and what happens if he wins. If he wins, Lucas quits but he didn't say if Lucas wins. That's the missing piece she wanted to know. So she called out to him,

"And if Lucas wins?"

He turns to her, "He gets you."

With that, Nathan made his way onto the court where Lucas stood in the middle holding the ball.

"Twenty one." Lucas chest passed the ball to Nathan, "You start."

A smug little smile formed across Nathan's lips, "Easy."

So the two began their game as everyone else watched on the sidelines.

However, there was one person who showed up a little late. Jake came up from behind, stepping up on the bleachers. He went and sat next to Ryland. Her eyes were too focused on the game to even notice who sat next to her but she knew and she didn't mind.

At one point though, she did glance his way and passed him a small smile and he returned it.

It was going to be awhile before they really worked things out and move pass it all but there's also progress and this was definitely some.

a/n:
PROGRESS, but slowly .