viii. it lights my fire, part 2

GREEK TRAGEDY ::  viii

GREEK TRAGEDY
:: viii. | it lights my fire, part 2

Chad was driving Peyton's car and as soon as it started pouring, he drove to the nearest motel. After parking the car, the two got out and ran to one of the doors. Chad opened it and they both walked in, Chad closing the door behind them. It was a cheap motel which is why the door wasn't locked.

They plopped on the bed next to one another. At first no one said anything. Chad didn't know what to say, he's never been in a situation like this and well, Peyton was just lost. All she was really feeling was that the body wasn't her dad's and that she just wanted to get it over with. She felt very vulnerable.

They continued to sit in close proximity, their shoulders practically touching.

She mumbled, "Thanks for coming."

"No one should be alone in a matter like this." He softly spoke.

"I'm just —- what if it's him? I wouldn't be able to handle that."

Chad took her hand in his as he looked at her, "I don't know your dad, Peyton but the way you talk about him sometimes . . . it sounds like to me he would do anything to get back to you. He would never leave you."

She met his gaze from looking up from their hands.

"I won't leave you . . . " He lastly said.

As their eyes lingered on each other's, they slowly began leaning in. Just before their lips could even graze one another, Chad quickly pulled away.

"What's wrong?"

"I can't." He began, "You're in a vulnerable state and I'm not one to take advantage of that."

"It's not taking advantage if I want it." She scooted closer.

He abruptly stood up, "As much as I want to, I can't. Lucas. I know how he feels about you and you him. I won't do that to my best friend."

She sighed, "I'm tired."

Peyton wanted to just forget what just happened. She didn't want to acknowledge anything. All she wanted was to lay down because if she did, time would go faster and they would be back in the car to see about her dad.

Chad eventually joined her on the other side, falling asleep next to her. Just like she, he began to sleep over the covers as well.