xii. mood swings

GREEK TRAGEDY ::  xii

GREEK TRAGEDY
:: xii. | mood swings

Ryland walked into school with Jake by her side. The two were headed in the direction of Jake's locker. As the two continued down the hall, someone shoved between them without saying anything.

Ryland scoffed, "Uh, excuse you."

The guy turned around and a smirk grew across his lips, "Didn't see you there, cutie." He turned back on his heels and continued his way.

Jake would be lying if he said he didn't feel a bit jealous. He knew the guy was just messing around, but it still annoyed him. Ryland noticed that Jake was somewhere else in his mind. She grabbed his hand and lightly smiled at him. With that, the two continued their way to Jake's locker.

Soon after that, the two separated. He went to basketball practice and she was headed to the rooftop. Smart, intuitive —— she just felt like skipping first period that day. She walked up all those stairs to be alone on the roof, only to find one of her good friends up there already.

Haley was sitting down on one of the benches with her acoustic guitar in hand. As soon as Ryland left the door behind, it slammed shut behind her. Haley abruptly turned around, connecting eyes with her friend.

"Sorry." Ryland quietly spoke, "I forgot how loud that is." She made her way over and sat next to Haley, "What you working on?"

"Just a little something." Haley was always a little secretive with her music, "However, I am surprised you're not in class."

"We all have our rebellious side, my friend."

Just before Haley could say anything back, commotion was heard outside in the lunch yard. Haley placed her guitar down and just like Ryland, she looked over the edge of the roof.

The two saw a crowd forming and two dudes yelling at each other in the middle. Soon enough, the two realized it was Lucas and Chad.

• • •

Lucas pushed chad back aggressively, "Calm down, Chad."

Chad approached him again. He spoke so quietly, "Look me in the eye and tell me nothing's going on between you and Peyton."

However, even though he spoke so lowly, it was still loud enough for some to hear. Haley and Ryland definitely heard and the two definitely had their thoughts about that.