Chapter 3

As tears welled in Dad's eyes, I could sense his anguish mirrored in my own. His stoic facade faltered for a moment, but he remained resolute, refusing to let a single tear escape.

"Dad, I can't do this," I pleaded, desperation creeping into my voice. "I'll be a freak, I won't fit in. Please, I don't want to go."

I held onto a sliver of hope, praying that Dad would relent, that he would see reason and change his mind. But his response dashed my hopes, his words carrying a weight of finality.

"You'll be fine, Cass. Besides, Lin will be there to show you around and help you fit in," he assured me.

Lin—my cousin and my polar opposite. Born on the same day, yet worlds apart in every other respect. Our relationship was fraught with tension, a delicate balance of mutual disdain and unspoken animosity.

"Ha! How amusing, Dad," I retorted bitterly. "But I'm serious. I'm not going anywhere, and there's nothing you can do to change my mind."

Dad sighed, his weariness palpable as he delivered his ultimatum. "Sweetie, you're not old enough to make decisions on your own. As your dad, I say you have until tomorrow to pack your things, say goodbye to your friends, and work on your American accent. We're leaving the day after tomorrow. I'm sorry."

His words hung heavy in the air, sealing my fate with a finality that left me reeling. With a heavy heart, I retreated to my room, tears staining my cheeks as I surveyed the remnants of my life in South Africa.

Memories flooded my mind—the laughter, the adventures, the unbreakable bond I shared with Rose. The paintings we created, the photos we took, the friendship bracelet she gave me on our Friendaversary—all tangible reminders of the life I was about to leave behind.

The weight of it all bore down on me, crushing me beneath its burden as I grappled with the enormity of the decision thrust upon me. How could I leave everything I knew and loved behind? How could I face a future so uncertain, so far from the comfort of home?

Night stretched on endlessly, each passing moment filled with dread and uncertainty. The thought of breaking the news to Rose weighed heavily on my heart, a daunting task I couldn't bring myself to confront.

And as dawn broke, casting its soft glow upon the world outside, I knew that my life would never be the same again. With a heavy heart and tear-stained cheeks, I resigned myself to the inevitable—my journey to America, a journey into the unknown.