Chapter 14

The night had already crept in as I reached the end of Chapter Twenty-Seven of "Pause." I hadn't anticipated finishing the entire book tonight, especially considering my constant yawning. Deciding to call it a night, I neatly made my bed, preparing to succumb to the embrace of sleep. Just as I was about to drift off, my phone buzzed, signaling a new message from an unknown sender.

Sender: Hi Cassandra

Me: Who is this and how did you get my number?

Sender: I am the most handsome boy you have ever seen, and as for your number, don't worry about that.

I pondered for a moment. Who could it be? Conrad was straightforward and wouldn't beat around the bush like this. Perhaps it was Hotshot, with his penchant for self-admiration. He could be annoying at times, and I still couldn't fathom why girls swooned over him so much.

Sender: Hello!!!!

Me: Who are you?

Sender: Let me refresh your memory; we met earlier in the boys' bathroom.

The boys' bathroom? Wait, that could only mean... it was Hotshot! I hesitated, contemplating my next move. Should I block him, stop talking, or indulge in the conversation? I didn't want any trouble with Bianca, but then again, she wouldn't go as far as checking his phone, right? Besides, it was just a harmless chat. Why did I have a feeling I'd regret this?

Me: Hi Will.

Will: Glad to see somebody has calmed down.

Me: Oh yeah, sorry about earlier. I just had a pretty rough day.

Will: What happened?

Me: I missed my best friend.

Will: Then make a new one.

Me: Are you insane! I can't just replace my best friend.

Will: I'm not asking you to replace her; I'm suggesting you find someone who can make your life easier at school.

Surprisingly, it wasn't a bad idea. I was impressed, to say the least.

Me: I'm surprised!

Will: Why are you surprised?

Me: Well, I didn't think you had any brain cells.

Will: Uh???

Me: I just thought you were one of those guys who look cute and charming but with nothing upstairs.

Will: Thanks? I guess. Oh, so you think I'm cute?

Me: Woah! Hey, I did not say that.

Will: Oh yes, you did.

Me: Did not!

Will: Did too!

Me: William Roberts, goodnight.

Will: Talk to you tomorrow at school.

Me: No!

Will: Why?

Me: Hello, you have a demonic girlfriend.

Will: Woah, demonic is pretty powerful. And are you seriously scared of her?

Me: I don't want to end up in her hell-like basement.

Will: You know that's just a lie, right? That girl moved away.

Me: Whatever. I just don't want drama.

Will: Fine!

Me: Fine, what?

Will: Fine, no seeing, just texting.

Me: Good!

"Are you talking to a boy?" Lin's voice interrupted, sneaking a glance at my phone.

"No!" I lied.

"Then why were you smiling?" I hadn't realized I was smiling. "First, tell me why you smile every time you check your phone to find out who is calling you and why you always leave the room to go talk in secret?"

"Shut up and sleep," she retorted with a smile.

Phew! I didn't mind talking to Hotshot, but if Lin found out, she'd give me a two-hour lecture on what happens when you mess with Bianca Flores and remind me of the - for all I knew - fake basement story.

Talking to Will actually felt nice. It wasn't what I expected. I thought he would just talk about himself the whole time. Was he not who I thought he was, or was he?