Chapter 26

Yesterday was a whirlwind. After school, I waited for Will to pick me up, and when he did, he led me to his Ferrari. It was surprisingly comfortable, though I'm not much of a car person. Comfort is more my style. Will dropped me off outside my house, and before I left, I couldn't resist asking about the rumors surrounding him and Bianca. He confirmed they had broken up, citing her infidelity with a college guy. Honestly, I wasn't shocked.

Back at home, Lin was her usual self, bustling around the kitchen. We exchanged brief pleasantries during supper, but once we were alone in our room, an awkward silence settled between us, both too stubborn to break it.

After a refreshing bath, I threw on a casual outfit: baggy blue jeans, a long tank top, and white sneakers. Taming my unruly hair took some effort, but I managed a ponytail secured with Mom's old scrunchie, adorned with colorful beads. A swipe of lip gloss completed my look. Lin, on the other hand, sported a skinny black jean, a sky blue t-shirt, and black Air Force sneakers, her hair cascading in loose curls.

Despite our differences, our dressing styles seemed oddly similar. Lin's makeup routine was more elaborate than mine, but she never overdid it. As for me, I preferred a more natural look, though I wasn't sure if I was allowed to wear makeup. Lin certainly didn't seem to mind bending the rules.

The next morning, I found myself in a predicament. I had forgotten to arrange transportation to school, and Lin would likely refuse if I asked to go with her. Dad, Emily, and Lucas were options, but they'd bombard me with questions I couldn't answer.

As I pondered my dilemma, Steve's knock interrupted my thoughts. To my surprise, he announced a visitor for me: William Roberts. Panic surged through me as I hurried downstairs to find him chatting with Dad amidst boxes of belongings.

"Morning, Dad," I greeted with a kiss on the cheek, trying to appear composed despite the chaos.

"Morning, princess," Dad returned, his attention split between us and the ongoing conversation.

Curiosity piqued, I inquired about their discussion, feigning innocence to conceal my unease.

"Just stuff," Will replied vaguely, but I could sense there was more to it.

With a hurried farewell, we prepared to leave, but Dad halted us with a pointed question about Will's relationship with me. Will's unexpected declaration as my boyfriend left Lin choking on her water, and me stunned into silence. What happened to our agreement to pretend we'd broken up?

Dad's incredulity mirrored my own, prompting promises of an explanation later. As we made our exit, Lin surprised us by asking to ride along, her curiosity evident. Despite our mutual discomfort, we agreed, and the car journey was filled with an uneasy silence.

Once at school, Will dropped the bombshell: he wanted us to continue pretending we were dating. His rationale? To incite Bianca's jealousy and win her back. It felt wrong, but he argued we both stood to gain from the ruse.

Reluctantly, I agreed to discuss it further at Jackson's party later that night, despite my reservations about attending. Will's persuasive charm left me feeling conflicted, but as the school day progressed, excitement bubbled within me.

Classes flew by in a blur of anticipation, and even mundane subjects like math felt exhilarating. A successful history quiz boosted my spirits, and partnering with Lin in English provided a welcome distraction.

After school, Will whisked us home, promising to return for the party at five. Despite my misgivings, Dad's enthusiastic approval left me with no choice but to comply. Lin's infectious excitement contrasted with my growing apprehension as we made our way to Dad's new house.

Upon arrival, Lin's joy at the prospect of attending the party was contagious, though my own reservations lingered. Dad's support only added to my reluctance, but his insistence on my socializing prevailed over my protests.

With a heavy heart, I resigned myself to the inevitable, the looming party promising an evening of uncertainty and upheaval. Little did I know, the night held more surprises in store than I could ever anticipate.