Chapter 22

Today at school unfolded without any of the usual drama: no confrontations with unpleasant individuals or reprimands from teachers. With Chloe becoming a more frequent presence in my classes, I found solace in our budding friendship. Bianca's threats of retribution failed to materialize, suggesting that perhaps Will's intervention had quelled her animosity. Though I hadn't exchanged many words with Will since our disagreement over Conrad and Bianca, his friendly smiles from a distance hinted at a thawing in our relationship.

During lunchtime, as Lin, Chloe, and I roamed the corridors, Chloe extended a spontaneous invitation for a sleepover at her place. It was a welcome suggestion, especially considering it was a Friday. Recollections of past sleepovers with Rose tugged at my heartstrings; I couldn't help but feel a twinge of sadness knowing that our friendship was on shaky ground. However, I brushed aside those thoughts as Lin, with her typical eagerness, inquired about the presence of snacks at Chloe's house.

Chloe's offer was met with Lin's enthusiastic approval, her excitement palpable. It made me wonder if this was how Rose had felt when Katy and Summer had included her in their plans – a sense of obligation mingled with the desire to belong. As we wrapped up the school day around 4:15 pm, anticipation bubbled within us as we prepared for the sleepover. Steve's arrival home prompted Lin to divulge our plans, prompting a skeptical response from him. Nevertheless, with Lin's persuasion and a touch of my own diplomacy, we secured Emily's reluctant agreement.

The ensuing wait felt interminable, even though it had barely been nine minutes. Lin's impatience mirrored my own, but we were eventually rewarded with the news that Emily and Lucas had consented to our plans. Relief washed over us as we made our way to Chloe's house, where we were greeted by the warm embrace of her welcoming home. The serene atmosphere belied the presence of eight siblings, leaving us to wonder how the household remained so tranquil.

Chloe led us to her brightly decorated bedroom, a burst of color amidst the subdued hues of the rest of the house. Lin's admiration for the décor contrasted with my own preference for more understated tones, but I couldn't deny the room's charm. As we settled in, Chloe provided snacks while Lin and I deliberated over our movie choice. Eventually, we settled on a romantic film, though Lin's attention waned halfway through, leaving Chloe and me to indulge in a conversation about matters of the heart.

The topic inevitably turned to my crush on Conrad, prompting Chloe's curiosity and eventual insistence that I text him. Despite my apprehension, Chloe took matters into her own hands, crafting a message that teemed with enthusiasm and optimism. With the message sent, we were left to anxiously await Conrad's response, our anticipation heightening with each passing moment. Now, all that remained was to see how he would reply.