Chapter 17

I walked over to dad's room, rehearsing how I was going to reply to every question he asked me. I knocked on the door, it was wide open and I could see him sitting on the bed. "Come in," he said in a low voice. One thing was clear, he was upset. I walked over to him and I froze at what I saw. There were pictures of mom all over the bed. There were medium-sized ones in frames, big laminated ones, and the small ones that you could fit in lockets. This view alone was making me emotional. She was so beautiful. I sat down on the bed and gently ran my fingers through her face. The feeling was priceless and it felt so real, like she was there, like I could feel her gently pinching my cheeks, see her beautiful smile, and hear her angelic voice saying, "I'm here."

"Mama," I said in a sad whisper. Dad squeezed my hand and tried to fake a smile, but he couldn't, no matter how hard he tried.

"Dad what's all this?" I asked.

"Eight years ago, this very day, I met the love of my life," he said, holding mom's picture up in the air. Neither mom nor dad had ever told me anything about the day they met and even after mom died, I never asked.

"What happened when you met her and how did you meet?" I asked, trying not to ask too much but I couldn't help but want to know everything and any information that I could get about mom that I didn't know of.

"I had some work in Egypt," he explained. "So since I can't cook I went to a diner and that is when I saw your mom. Her skin was copper brown, like a windfall autumn leaf. It was a pleasure to see her flowing, moon shadow-black hair. Her enticing, constellation-hazel eyes gazed at me over her puffy, heart-shaped lips. She had a personality that revolved around her goals. She was a delightful person, you couldn't take your eyes off her and she trusted her own abilities and knew that she had value. Aesthetically impressive good looks and her beautiful personality pulled me towards her."

"What happened after that, did you ask her out?" I asked excitedly.

"She approached me in her short and tight uniform which exposed her curves, 'Would you like me to get you anything, sir?' I can still hear her sweet voice in my ears. I kept on ordering over and over again until her shift was over. I offered to walk her home but she denied the first time. So I came back the second time, there were 5 minutes left for her shift to end so I offered to walk her home again and she denied my offer but I wasn't going to give up. So I came every day for 5 days straight while she kept refusing. I had a trick up my sleeve, I didn't go on the sixth day but went on the seventh. Immediately when she saw me walking in, she smiled and that is when I knew she was mine.

She didn't even wait for me to ask but instead came to me and asked if I would like to accompany her home. We walked and talked about our families and our lives. She was a really good listener and always knew just what to say. This went on for about a week then everything just stopped, she stopped coming to work and I had no idea what to do. So I went to her house, only to find out that she had moved away. I was so disappointed with the way things had turned. Sadness had taken over my life and I was left living in darkness. That is until I met her in a boutique. We talked for a long time and she told me that she left because her brother was sick and bedridden so she had to take care of him. I looked deep into her eyes and she looked into mine and that is when I knew it was the perfect time to kiss her, so without hesitation, I placed a kiss on her lips which tasted strawberry sweet. It was amazing.

We started dating for a month then she introduced me to her family. Oh boy that was the hardest part. Her mother was super nice and even asked me about my family, but her dad, wow. The first thing he said to his daughter when he saw me was, 'You have a white boyfriend?' And then he asked me about my occupation and I couldn't tell him, so that was a bad start. He went on to ask me what I want to do with his daughter, so I said I wanted to marry her and that is when I knew I won him over. He laughed with joy and shook my hand continuously, calling me son-in-law.

So yeah, we got married, had you and I had to go to Spain, I begged her to come with me but she told me she was born in Africa and will die in Africa. Ten years later I was in Trinidad when I got a call from the hospital saying that your mom was being operated on because she had ovarian cancer, and I didn't even know about her sickness, she never told me anything about it. The last time I saw her she ill bruised, pale, trembling and begging me to promise that I will take care of you. When I saw the doctors covering her with the white sheets I cried out but it was too late. She was gone and I was consumed by darkness but there was light, when you held my hand with your little fingers I had a reason to be happy, a reason to live and go on, you were that reason and you still are," He said in a hoarse, cracking voice.

"I miss her," sorrowful tears streamed down my face as I sobbed uncontrollably.

"I miss her too," he said pulling me in for a hug.

"Wait what happened to her brother did he recover?" I asked.

"Well do you know of any uncles you have?"

"No."

"I hope that answers your question," he said letting out a chuckle.

"I thought you were going to be mad at me for going out with Conrad," I said, hoping that he was not.

"Oh yeah about that..." he reached under his bed and gave me a medium-sized bag filled with condoms.

"Oh my God, dad!" I shouted.

"I just want you to be safe since you have started going out with boys," he said with a devious smile on his face.

"Remember that pulling out is not protection."

"Oh my God, I'm going," I said embarrassed and headed for the door.

"Wait!" He yelled. He walked up to me and gave me a locket. There was a picture of mom, dad, and me inside.

"Thanks dad," I gave him a grateful smile and he helped me put it on.

"Why did you take so long, was he mad?" Lin asked immediately when I walked in.

"No, he wasn't mad," I replied.

"What is in the bag?" she asked. I opened it then held it upside down allowing the condoms to fall on her bed.

"Can I have some?"

"Take all of them." What was wrong with this child? She wasn't even sixteen and she wanted condoms? I wasn't even sure if she had a boyfriend.

I was very happy dad got to share that amazing story with me. I was surprised he didn't cry. I would have cried halfway through.