Chapter 21

The tension in the room was thick as Lin and I settled into her bed, the weight of unspoken words hanging heavy between us. Unable to bear the silence any longer, I finally broke the ice. "You lied to me," I accused, the words tumbling from my lips before I could stop them.

Lin's response was a mixture of defiance and nonchalance, her casual dismissal doing little to ease my sense of betrayal. "I didn't lie, I just didn't tell you the truth," she countered, her words dripping with a smugness that grated on my nerves.

Her flippant attitude only served to fuel my frustration, the sting of her deception cutting deeper than I cared to admit. "I thought we were friends," I protested, the hurt in my voice betraying the depth of my disappointment.

But Lin was quick to dispel any notion of friendship between us, her words laced with a biting edge of sarcasm. "I never said anything about friendship," she retorted, her smirk a bitter reminder of the gulf that separated us.

Feeling a surge of frustration rising within me, I reached for my phone, desperate for a distraction from the tension that simmered between us. But as Rose's name flashed across the screen, Lin wasted no time in seizing the opportunity to pry into my personal affairs.

"Is it a boy? Is that why you've been smiling when texting?" Lin's sudden intrusion caught me off guard, her probing gaze leaving me feeling exposed and vulnerable.

"No, it's just Rose," I replied, attempting to deflect her attention as I answered the call and activated the speakerphone.

But Lin's curiosity knew no bounds, her relentless questioning driving me to the brink of exasperation. "Which cousin, the crazy bitch?" Rose's playful banter echoed through the room, leaving Lin wide-eyed with shock and disbelief.

In a moment of uncharacteristic impulsiveness, Lin seized the opportunity to play along, her laughter mingling with Rose's infectious energy as they exchanged playful banter. But beneath the surface, I sensed a twinge of resentment brewing within me, a bitter reminder of the divide that had begun to form between us.

As Lin continued to engage in lighthearted banter with Rose, I found myself growing increasingly agitated, the sting of her betrayal festering like an open wound. And when she brought up a recent post on social media, my heart sank with a sinking sense of dread.

"What post are you guys talking about?" I asked, my voice tinged with apprehension.

But as Lin scrolled through Rose's profile, my worst fears were realized. The images that flashed across the screen were like a dagger to the heart, a painful reminder of the bonds that had been severed in an instant.

"How could you do this to me?" I demanded, my voice trembling with a mixture of anger and hurt.

But Rose's confusion only served to fuel my rage, her feigned innocence a bitter reminder of the betrayal that had taken place. And when she attempted to placate me with empty words of reassurance, I saw through the facade with painful clarity.

"You chose those girls over me," I accused, my voice raw with emotion. "You betrayed our friendship for a few moments of fun."

But as the words left my lips, I felt a surge of regret wash over me, a painful reminder of the bonds that had been broken in a moment of anger. And when I saw the hurt in Rose's eyes, I knew that I had crossed a line that could never be uncrossed.

As I hung up the phone and turned to face Lin, her expression mirrored my own sense of remorse. "What's the matter with you?" she asked, her voice tinged with concern. "How could you speak to your best friend like that?"

But as I lay in bed, consumed by a sense of guilt and regret, I knew that the damage had already been done. And as the weight of my actions settled over me like a heavy shroud, I realized that some wounds could never be healed, no matter how much we wished otherwise.