Chapter 10

My first encounter with Conrad felt like a scene straight out of a romantic comedy. Picture this: I'm strolling across the football field, lamenting the disaster that was my first day, when suddenly, I collide with someone and my books scatter like leaves in the wind.

"Can't you look where you're go..." My words evaporate into thin air when I lock eyes with the most captivating face I've ever seen. My heart does a little salsa in my chest, and I can practically feel the heat rising to my cheeks. Was I actually blushing?

"Are you okay?" he asks, extending a hand to help me gather my fallen treasures.

"Ye... Ye... Yeah, I'm fine," I manage to squeak out, completely mesmerized.

"Hi, I'm Conrad," he introduces himself with a disarming smile. Wait, Conrad? The same Conrad who shares a roof with me? Oh, the universe works in mysterious ways.

"I'm Cassandra," I murmur, feeling the warmth of embarrassment spreading across my cheeks.

"Cassandra?" he echoes.

"Oh, Lin's cousin," I explain.

"Well, well, well, Cassandra," he says with a playful twinkle in his eye. "Nice to meet you. And, if I may add, you're really pretty."

His compliment catches me off guard, and all I can muster is a feeble, "No, it's fine. I love compliments." Smooth, Cass. Real smooth.

As we meander through the football field, the silence between us is comfortable, punctuated by stolen glances and shy smiles. It's cute, but also kind of weird. Like, really weird.

"So, when can I see you again?" he asks, breaking the silence with a mischievous grin.

"At home," I reply with a mischievous glint in my eye.

"What?" His confusion is palpable.

"We live in the same house," I clarify, relishing in his embarrassment.

Our brief encounter leaves me longing for more, but alas, duty calls in the form of a study session. As I trudge back to the classroom, I can't help but daydream about our chance encounter on the football field.

Once the final bell rings and the echoes of classroom chatter fade away, I find myself navigating the bustling halls, a swarm of students rushing to their respective destinations. Amidst the chaos, Conrad's voice cuts through the noise, calling out to me.

"Hey, Cassie!" he shouts, his warm smile instantly melting away any lingering tension.

For most people, I'd have sternly reminded them of my preference not to be called "Cassie," but with Conrad, it's different. He's earned a pass with that infectious grin of his. I wait patiently as he catches up to me, his presence casting a comforting glow in the dimly lit hallway.

"So, what's up?" he asks, his tone casual yet filled with genuine interest.

"Well, study was a little more interesting than expected," I reply, offering a small shrug.

"How are you getting home?" he inquires, his concern evident in the furrow of his brow.

"Oh, Lin's driving me," I answer, noting the slight pang of disappointment at the thought of parting ways.

"Would you like to come in my car, or..." Conrad's offer is cut short by the sudden arrival of Lin, her breathless demeanor hinting at a frantic search.

"Where have you been? I've been looking for you everywhere!" she exclaims, her urgency palpable.

Conrad's invitation hangs in the air, a tempting offer that I find myself hesitating to accept. Before I can respond, Lin interjects, steering me towards her awaiting car with a firm grip on my hand.

As we make our way home, the familiar routine of everyday life resumes, albeit with a newfound sense of anticipation lingering in the air. Despite the whirlwind of emotions and events that have unfolded throughout the day, one thing remains clear: the connection forged with Conrad is one that promises to withstand the test of time, transcending the boundaries of culture and circumstance.

As I reflect on the events of the day, I can't help but wonder what the future holds for Conrad and me. With each passing moment, I find myself drawn deeper into the enigma that is our budding friendship, eager to unravel the mysteries that lie ahead. Whatever adventures await us, one thing's for certain: Conrad's presence has illuminated my world in ways I never thought possible, and for that, I'm eternally grateful

As we arrive home, the house is eerily quiet, indicating that no one else has returned yet. I head upstairs, feeling the weight of the day settling in, and drop my bag onto the floor. Flopping onto the bed, I let out a sigh of exhaustion, relishing the brief moment of respite.

"Get up!" commands Lin, her voice cutting through the silence like a sharp blade.

"But why? I'm just sitting on it; it's not like I'm going to sleep here," I protest half-heartedly.

"Get up!" she insists, her tone firm and unwavering.

Reluctantly, I comply, knowing that arguing with Lin is a battle I'm unlikely to win. Instead, I make my way downstairs, the prospect of food providing a glimmer of motivation amidst the exhaustion.

Descending the stairs, I sing a cheerful tune to lighten the mood, "Down, down, down the stairs, gently down the case, nearly, nearly, nearly, nearly trying not to fall," the melody lifting my spirits if only for a moment.

"Catchy song," Conrad remarks from behind, his presence catching me off guard.

"It's a stupid song," I reply, chiding myself inwardly for the awkward exchange.

Making my way to the living room, I can't shake off the strange feeling of having a cute boy, unrelated to me, living in the same house. It's a new experience, one that I'm not quite sure how to navigate.

"Are you hungry?" Conrad asks, breaking the silence.

"Very," I admit, my stomach growling in agreement.

"Okay, let me go make you something to eat. I'm an excellent chef, by the way," he boasts, a hint of pride in his voice.

His offer is met with a mix of curiosity and apprehension. I watch as he disappears into the kitchen, my anticipation building with each passing moment. Soon, he emerges with a plate full of...pancakes.

"How does it look?" he asks, a hopeful expression on his face.

In truth, it looks like a culinary disaster. The pancakes are lumpy, unevenly cooked, and liberally doused with mustard, ketchup, and hot sauce. It's a combination that baffles the mind and turns my stomach.

"Uh... Um, well... Let's pray, shall we? You know, before tasting your amazing food," I say, attempting to mask my apprehension with humor.

"Dear Lord, please protect my throat. I haven't done anything to anybody, Lord. Amen," I pray silently, hoping for a miracle.