Chapter 28

I'm jolted awake by the incessant blare of Lin's alarm. Every movement sends a sharp pang through my head, as if it's on the verge of exploding. Glancing at the clock, I realize it's already 1 pm, and Lin's alarm has been ringing for far too long. Surprisingly, the phone hasn't shut down from the noise.

Taking in my surroundings, I spot pills on the bedside table with a note from Dad: "Take these and you'll feel better." Dread washes over me; he must have been disappointed to find me drunk last night. I hope he's not too angry. But how did I end up here? Did Will bring us home? And where's Lin?

After swallowing the pills Dad left, I receive a message from Will.

Will: You were so drunk last night.

Me: Uh-oh. How bad was it?

Will: You got onto the balcony and started dancing while taking your clothes off. I had to lend you mine.

I check, and sure enough, I'm wearing his clothes. Damn! What was he wearing then?

Lin enters, humming a tune, and sarcastically greets, "Good morning, sleepyhead."

"How are you feeling fine, while my head's still spinning?" I groan.

"I've sneaked sips of Dad's whiskey before without asking, so I might be used to the feeling, or at least I know how to handle it," Lin replies casually.

"Okay, did we just skip school?"

"Duh!"

"Shoot! That's what happens when you have a party on a school day."

"Yeah, okay. Your dad told me to tell you that he's not mad about the drinking thing."

"Of course not, he's the one who insisted I go to that party in the first place," I say, relieved. "So... what do we do now? There's nobody at home, and we're not at school."

"How about you talk to Rose?" Lin suggests.

"Oh yeah." I reach for my phone, then remember she blocked me. "How am I supposed to talk to her? She blocked both of us."

"Don't you have anyone's number who can help you contact her?"

"I have Katy's number."

"I thought you didn't like her?"

"I don't."

"Then why do you have her number?"

"So if she calls, I know it's her and I can ignore it," I explain, scrolling through my contacts.

"Smart," Lin remarks.

"I know," I say before dialing Katy's number.

"Hello!" she answers.

Ugh! "Hi Katy," I say.

"Who is this?"

"It's Cassandra."

"Oh hi, why are you calling me I thought you didn't like me?"

"It's not that I... ugh, can you tell Rose to unblock me?"

"I don't think she wants to talk to you."

GIRL! Just do what I tell you to do!

"I know, but I want to apologize to her. Please, just tell her to unblock me, I just wanna talk to her."

"You can tell her that yourself."

"What do you mean?"

"She's in the kitchen making breakfast."