Chapter seven

Hexside hayday
Three weeks later

(Y/N) POV

Books. Books I had found were a way to live many different kinds of lives. Whether that be the life of a pirate or a thief or an adventurer or merely a normal school girl. The point is that even though I read to escape the dull stone cold walls of the castle it still felt as if I'd never escape. I've explored all I can of the castle and Hunter is gone most days, my teachers are busy most of the time and my father is the Emperor. I am truly grateful for my life but I can't help but feel lonely.

For all my life the only friend I've had is Hunter but is it so bad that I want more? I've never met other people my age, especially other girls but my father is too protective to let me out. Only those in the Emperor's Coven and the heads of the other nine Covens know of my experience. Heck I've never even set foot outside of castle grounds. I've tried many times throughout my life to escape but every attempt ends the same. With the guards or someone finding me and bringing me back to my room.

After Hunter became the golden that is. Before that I didn't always feel the need to see the world because Hunter would show it to me, usually by bringing me trinkets he'd find and by telling me stories of his day. Over the years Hunter got busier with his new appointment, he devoted himself to my father and his new opportunity leaving me behind for a while. That was resolved not in the best way but I couldn't blame him. Love does make you do crazy things after all.

But even so I wanted to see the world for myself. I knew it would be hard but I had to at least try. Opening my door I look quickly both ways before moving quickly down the hall to a portrait of a griffin before gently tapping the numbers that border the painting. "Twelve, eighty two, ninety one." I whisper to myself as it slowly swings open. Climbing inside I pull the portrait door closed behind me with a click. Making my way down the path I keep my eyes peeled and my ears open for anything.

Making it to my destination I sit and look out the great to see the lobby filled with  Coven members coming and going from different parts of the castle. Looking at the clock on the wall I watch the ticks of the clock hands go by slowly. "One, two, three!" On three the hour hand moves and the bells from the clock tower ring signaling the beginning of the day. Suddenly there's a scurry of people leaving and rushing to do their Monday duties.

Looking at the now empty lobby I make my way down the latter and around the corner. I'm about to open the door when suddenly there's a hand on my shoulder. "Princess? What are you doing here?" Asks a voice, taking a deep breath I turn around to find Steve in his usual uniform. "Hey Steve! W-what's up!? I'm just, you know, gonna go for a walk..." I smile nervously

"You know princess, I don't think you're allowed to do that." I sigh in disappointment expecting to get escorted back to my room but he then continues. "At least not without a cloak to keep you warm!" He enthusiastically takes a spare dark cloak out of his bag, gently handing me the burgundy cloak, feeling the weight of the soft sturdy warm fabric I throw it over my shoulders trying it on. With a twirl I show it off with a giggle.

"Ha it looks good on you kid!" He says proudly. Without a second thought I hugged him "thank you Steve! You're the best!" I say before taking my leave. Moving toward the front doors I give a final wave to Steve before leaving the castle for the first time. Pulling the hood of my new cloke over my head I swiftly make my way over the bridge and into town.

***

At the entrance of town I look around in awe at everything new. The smell of food and potions is abundantly clear as I move through the streets inspecting all the shops and stalls as I pass. The people are busy and bustling trying to sell their products. Looking around I spot a girl not much younger than myself moving into the nere by forest.