5. STORM BLACK

5. STORM BLACK

Another week goes by. It's unbelievable how quickly time flies in the retreat of the Resistance. Everything blurs between the grey concrete and the black-clad rebels, between the meals and the workouts and the meetings with Lovegood, where I tell her all about the Exit and fish the rune incantations out of my mind for her to write down.

It'll take a few more of these meetings to teach her everything I know. (And test subjects at some point, but we're still a long way from that.)

In the meantime, I get lost in space and time, which may be mainly due to the fact that I have no idea what's going on outside. Or rather on the surface, as I now secretly call it. For my part, I keep my head above water by reading the weekdays from the schedules on the black board in the atrium. Other than that, I'm completely cut off from any information I'm used to being one of the first to receive. Knowing nothing simply drives me insane.

After interfering so unfavourably at the very first meeting in the dining hall, I wasn't invited back, although I'm pretty sure there have been a few since. I probably have Granger to thank for that. Perhaps she threatened Potter with her own absence to force him to withdraw my permission to attend.

Well, luckily I still have Creevey and at least he is reliable because he generally talks too much and as a result often divulges things I don't think I'm supposed to know. Which eventually (and unexpectedly) led to him telling me that this week the Death Eaters attempted to attack a magical village in the western part of the country — one of the very ones where Granger has recently cut down the guard posts to increase the security in and around Hogsmeade.

At least they were unsuccessful in doing so. The attack failed and the guards on site managed to adequately defend the village despite being shorthanded. Some of the rebels on duty that night sustained minor injuries, but (according to Creevey) were quickly released into their respective tasks after a brief visit to the trauma room.

Lucky me. If things had gone differently, I might have felt Granger's wrath just for being right. Honestly? I wouldn't put it past her to react in such a way.

Now it's Thursday morning and for the first time (if you don't count my cursory walkthrough) I'm standing in the hall where the combat training sessions take place. It doesn't make much sense that I'm here because I don't have a wand and thus can't contribute much, but I have to admit that I'm curious. Even though I'll only be watching, it's still a welcome change from my daily routine at Camp Black.

Creevey is standing next to me, talking to Boot and Abbott. Ginny Weasley and Blaise are here too, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Potter sends at least the latter on purpose to every activity I need to attend. (Either so he can keep an eye on me or I don't feel like a square peg in a round hole, I'm not entirely sure.)

About fifteen other rebels are also leaning against the walls, waiting for the training to begin. Most of them are younger Resistance fighters. I recognize a few faces from the workouts and the meals in the dining hall, but some I've never seen before. I would really like to know if they rotate between the camps on a weekly basis. Maybe I should ask Blaise about it when I get a chance. Or rather Creevey, he's more talkative.

The door opens and Ronald Weasley marches in. Inwardly, I roll my eyes because I assume that he will lead this training as well. But just as the door is about to click shut, it's slammed open once more and Granger sweeps into the room, her storm black robes swirling around her legs.

To my surprise (and respect), the rebels who have gathered here this morning immediately stand at attention. Even Blaise abandons his relaxed stance against the wall and steps forward to join them. Soon there is silence.