12. VELVET BLACK

12. VELVET BLACK

It's only when I step into the atrium that I realize I'm about to find out where Resistance headquarters is located. Fucking finally. And while I obviously have no intention of misusing this information in any way, my heart is suddenly beating a little faster. Well, I just love solving mysteries and this is definitely a big one.

To my surprise, Granger leads me into the command centre, which is currently deserted. She closes the door behind us and silently flicks her wand. What then becomes visible opposite the wall with the notes and the blueprints is a goddamn lift.

I glance quizzically at Granger but refrain from asking a hasty question. Instead, I just follow her into the lift cage, whereupon the door grilles rattle shut. The sound vaguely reminds me of the lifts in the former Ministry of Magic. However, I'm pretty sure that we're not in the Ministry building since it's been occupied by the Death Eaters for years.

The lift starts moving. I lean against one of the walls, trying not to let show how curious I am. When the lift cage comes to a stop just a few seconds later, I have to close my eyes for a moment. After being down there for so long, I'm not used to the natural light of a sunrise or a biting breeze.

I squint against the sun before following Granger onto what appears to be the roof of a fairly large building. Quickly, I let my gaze wander. As I figure out where we are from a few easily identifiable visual cues, I whistle through my teeth.

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me," I say appreciatively.

I turn to face Granger, who is looking at me with a mixture of unconcealed satisfaction and pride, one hand on her hip.

"Let me guess—" I could swear she's stifling a smirk. She controls herself very well, but her voice is a few octaves higher than usual and her eyes sparkle as she continues. "—it's your first time on the roof of St. Mungo's?"

The first thought that comes to my mind at this particular choice of words is disconcerting. (And so fucking inappropriate.) I quickly brush it aside because there are clearly more important things to figure out than what the bloody hell is wrong with me.

"How?" I simply ask, utterly perplexed.

Granger shrugs so casually, as if she's not presenting me with an absolutely brilliant move.

"Took a while to build in the hidden basement and install the lift. An infinite number of Notice-Me-Not Charms had to be cast, and all while the hospital was in full swing. But it happens to be the safest place, especially considering that, to this day, Tom firmly believes it's under his control."

Ah, now I see why the rebels are so well-equipped when it comes to their healing facility, their sacred trauma room.

Once again my head is spinning, but there is more. All of a sudden, a certain admiration washes over me. I realize that Granger is responsible for this as well. It was her idea, no doubt. I can practically see it in her face. That damn genius.

"You can't Apparate in or out of St. Mungo's," I say eventually. "How do we get out of here?"

"Portkeys," she replies, pointing to a pile of clutter in one of the corners of the flat roof. "Each of them takes us to a specific location from which we can then Disapparate to wherever we want. I think it goes without saying that I'm not going to tell you where this location is. It's just a meadow. Don't rack your brains about it. It would be nothing but a waste of time."

I simply nod as I'm sure this is non-negotiable for now.

"And why do you have so many of them?" I dig deeper. "Portkeys used to be created in a dedicated Department of the Ministry and distribution was tightly controlled."