27. SHADOW BLACK

27. SHADOW BLACK

Both the conversation with Ginny and my list of pros and cons ensure that, in addition to the preparations and plans regarding Theo's capture, there is suddenly another brain-teaser that is taking up quite a bit of my time.

Which is: How to make Granger lose her bloody self-control.

The road to success consists of a total of seven stages. Some of these stages are carefully selected and thought out in advance, as I'm pretty sure (based on my experience with Granger so far and thanks to Ginny's statements) that they will help break down her reserve. Some others, however, I've included because I (egoist that I am) simply want to try them out. And two of them are even pure strokes of luck, because Potter is responsible for them.

But one thing after another.

My Granger mission begins on the third day after her release from the trauma room. At breakfast. In the dining hall.

Stage One. Humanness.

It's hardly a coincidence that I slip into the room filled with the sleepy, murmured conversations of the other rebels just a few minutes after Granger, for the black board in the atrium is my new accomplice. Meanwhile, I glance at it several times a day and catch up on spontaneous changes in the schedules, which gives me a pretty good overview of Granger's daily routine. I don't even find it pathetic anymore. Well, what can I say? I've decided to approach things a little more pragmatically from now on.

Granger is standing at the breakfast buffet, pouring herself a coffee, so she doesn't notice me right away. I seize the moment and slide into the gap between her and Oliver Wood, who is balancing a plate in his hands that can only be described as exorbitantly overfilled, but still doesn't seem to be satisfied with his selection.

I frown and grimace in disgust, then quickly turn away to focus on my actual scheme.

As I lean in to bring my lips to Granger's ear, her scent reaches my nostrils. I blink once, twice, before pulling myself together and opening my mouth.

"It was kind of you to take the Exit off Lovegood's hands," I murmur. Granger flinches and her head whips around. I calmly return her surprised look and take another step forward so that her shoulder touches my chest. "That was the right thing to do. Well done."

She doesn't back away from me, but clears her throat with irritation.

"Well, I promised you that if I felt the Exit was bothering Luna too much, I'd personally take care of the matter," she replies, ostensibly bored, "and I usually keep my promises."

"Very good," I hum, letting my gaze rake over her face for a few seconds before meeting her eyes again. "Thank you, Granger."

Then I flash her a smile. And a real one at that.

Her gaze immediately flicks to my mouth — or rather my teeth, come to think of it. I give her a few seconds to take in the sight before leaning forward and reaching past her to grab a plate.

"I'll see you at the combat training session," I mumble before turning away.

***

Stage Two. Competence. (And the arrogance of being aware of it.)

During the aforementioned training session, I participate in a two-on-one. I get two fairly demanding opponents (Creevey and Smith and therefore not novices), but I'm not allowed to return their attacks. All I'm supposed to do is defend myself and, if possible, disarm them.

This time, I don't allow myself to be distracted by Granger. I'm totally focused, stoically blocking every single spell they fire at me and waiting for the right moment to spit out my Expelliarmus.