29. CHROME BLACK

29. CHROME BLACK

With the aid of my own Emergency Portkey, I materialize in a grove, where I immediately Disapparate with a loud crack.

A second later, I'm standing in the meadow near Box Hill. I allow myself a breather before taking one of the hidden Return Portkeys to the roof of St. Mungo's.

Meanwhile, my knees are shaking from the weight my legs have to carry.

Creevey is heavy. Much heavier than I would have thought.

I ride the lift. Cross the atrium. Follow the eternal, labyrinthine right, left, right of the grey concreted corridors. Kick open the milk glass door of the trauma room with my combat boot. Stumble into the healing facility.

Lovegood rushes towards me. Her eyebrows furrow with concern as her gaze falls on the limp body in my arms. All color drains from her face.

I lay Creevey down on one of the cots.

After taking a deep breath that doesn't deliver nearly enough oxygen to my brain, I look at Lovegood. She's on the other side of the cot. One of her hands is on Creevey's cheek, the other suddenly reaches for me. I pull back abruptly.

Why is she just standing there?

Shouldn't she be doing something?

Isn't it her fucking job to help him?

Lovegood's eyes widen. I must have said all three questions out loud. Maybe I even shouted them, I'm not sure. My ears are ringing. From the fight? The buzzing of the curses? Or the shock? Anyway, it feels like I'm underwater. There's an unusual pressure on my eardrums.

I shake my head to get rid of the feeling, but it's no use. Lovegood's lips move, but to my ears she remains silent. She circles the cot. I feel her hand on my arm, then on my wrist. What the hell is she doing? Is she feeling my pulse? I withdraw for the second time. Step back. Avert my eyes. Flee from the trauma room.

Someone bumps into me in the hallway. Or maybe I'm the culprit, I have no idea. It was probably some Weasley, because out of the corner of my eye I think I see a mop of fiery red hair, but I don't turn around to check. I just keep walking. I'm on the run.

It's fucking ringing in my ears. And I can't breathe.

The atrium is empty, as is the command centre.

I get back in the lift. Hit the button. Ride up to the roof. Stagger out of the lift cage. Frantically breathe in the fresh, crisp night air.

My mind tells me I have to go back. I should make sure that they made it. That Granger is safe and that Blaise found Theo. Right? I brought Creevey to Lovegood, fulfilling my duty as a partner. And now I have to go back. Isn't that so?

Go to the trauma room, get patched up, and come back as soon as possible.

That's how it is, isn't it?

But I don't feel patched up at all. I feel like a vortex of a million little shreds, splintered shards, confused atoms.

Granger and I defeated the three Death Eaters who remained with us in the drawing room within a few minutes. She finished one with her signature throat cut and immobilized another with a Stunner. Nott Senior, on the other hand, received an Avada from me. After Creevey went down, that was the only thing I was capable of.

Two Killing Curses in one day.

I don't know exactly what happened after that. My memories are blurry. I think Granger told me to get Creevey out. But why would she have ordered such a thing when Lovegood can no longer help him? It makes no sense.