8. RAVEN BLACK

8. RAVEN BLACK

A few days later there's another official 'appointment' with Potter. I was actually expecting an ordinary interrogation (perhaps regarding the blueprints I gave him last weekend), but it doesn't seem to be one. It's obviously more of a strategy meeting, which is why I feel quite out of place as soon as I enter the command centre. Not least because she is present.

Granger is leaning against the wall in which the door is inserted, so I don't notice her right away. Only when I stop next to the conference table and shift my gaze to the parchment-covered wall in front of which Thomas is loitering and studying some layouts, do I spot her in my periphery. My gaze automatically darts to her face and when our eyes meet, my whole body goes rigid. We quickly turn away at the same time.

At least she doesn't rush out of the room straight away, which can only mean that this time it's no coincidence that we're both here. Potter apparently summoned her as well. Considering each of us swore to stay away from the other, that's pretty unfortunate.

But hey, Potter's headquarters, Potter's rules.

Standing rather pointlessly in the middle of the room (because Potter and the Weasel are still talking quietly to each other and not paying any attention to me), I notice that Granger's body language towards Thomas is almost as hostile as it is towards me. He, in turn, expertly avoids her gaze, which seems promisingly grim to me today. Mm, maybe there's some truth to Creevey's story after all.

"Malfoy," Potter finally says, rising from his chair. I slowly turn to face him and cross my arms. "Glad you were able to spare some time."

I let out a small snort at this equally inappropriate and sarcastic remark. Potter's sense of humor is almost on par with my own. I guess I have to be careful not to accidentally laugh at one of his jokes. We don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, do we?

"My pleasure," I deadpan, causing the corners of his mouth to quirk.

"You suggested that if we intended to make our own push, we should start with the safe house in Bristol," he casually continues.

I nod slowly.

What's going on here? Does he seriously want me to actively participate in their briefing?

"That would make sense, yes. The house isn't much-frequented and therefore not well guarded. However, as far as I know, there could be a few people there at the moment who might be good candidates for the Exit."

"People who do not serve Tom out of conviction?"

"It's just guesswork, Potter — in Death Eater circles, you don't boast about something like that. But at least there should be a few bearers of the Dark Mark there, yes."

Apparently, this explanation is enough for him, because he steps closer to the parchment that shows the floor plan of the Death Eater hideout in Bristol, as I remember it. It's been a while since I was last there, but I'm pretty sure no one has renovated in the meantime.

Weasley steps up to Potter, and now that it seems like I'm actually expected to put in my two Knuts worth, I pull myself together and do the same.

"Aside from the usual Muggle-Repelling Charms, there will most likely be some common alarm spells. Definitely here, here and here." I tap the respective spots on the blueprint with my index finger. "You will have to disarm them before you enter the house. After that, there shouldn't be any big surprises. There's a back door, but frankly I'm not sure which wards they put there, so it's probably safer to take the front door. The building itself may be protected by a Repello Inimicum, as are most of our safe houses, but in Bristol they are a bit lax about regularly renewing that ward. If you're lucky, you'll catch them on a careless day. I assume you know how to deal with it otherwise?"