« ✑ » Chapter 2 - The Truth

"To James, I hope this letter finds you in good health as I will unfortunately not be returning to the rebellion as planned. I am sorry that I couldn't have delivered this news to you in person, however due to time constraints I have had to opt for this letter instead. I was unable to complete my mission and thus will see myself travelling even further across the country as a result. Rest assured, I am confident in my abilities to retrieve the Fictus Ferrum regardless. I will keep in touch with you through more letters. From (Y/n)."

"'Fictus Ferrum?' What on Earth is a 'Fictus Ferrum'?" Elijah asked, almost sounding annoyed. "This isn't the first time she's mentioned it in a letter."

"I've never heard of such a thing, and I can't find any information about it anywhere..." Courtney observed. Elijah handed the piece of paper to her so she could read through it herself.

"What could this mean?" Elijah pondered aloud.

"I think it means that we should go ahead with our original plan," Courtney said, folding the letter back up and inserting it into a new envelope.

"I really don't think that's what we should go with," Elijah sighed as if he'd had this conversation with her ten times over.

"With Ari, Hunter and Oliver resigned from The Board we don't have much else of a choice, Elijah." Courtney was stern in her words, sealing the envelope and placing it on the table.

"This... Black Whisper character... I don't like the sound of them one bit. How do we know they're trustworthy? Nobody even knows if they're demon or human!" Elijah exclaimed.

"They carry out enough hits on either side to be considered safe enough for us to hire, especially in the case of demon leaders. What else are we supposed to do, anyway?" Elijah was silent. "This could be our only shot. What do we have to lose? We're already at rock bottom."

Elijah nodded his head somewhat solemnly after a moment. "No, you're right. We need to do it. It's for the good of all humankind. Hire The Black Whisper."

"Really?" Courtney seemed to be in disbelief.

"Yes, really. You're right, this could be our only shot. At least it's... something." Elijah said.

"I'll organise a meeting right away," Courtney said, hurrying away somewhat excitedly.

----

"It says she's going to be arriving tomorrow," James said. "But only briefly. Before something is announced, apparently." He put the piece of paper down on his desk.

"It sounds important," Trevor pointed out, "Especially with how little she's been visiting lately."

"She also mentioned that she's only here to meet Brandy, and gives the rest of you her best regards," James added.

"What? Why?" Brandy seemed puzzled, as did everyone else.

"I'm not sure. I suppose you'll find out tomorrow."

"What's a 'Fictus Ferrum'?" Reef asked, tilting his head as he read over James' shoulder. James laughed.

"Hell, if I know. It's to throw The Board off in case the coded message wasn't enough. It seems to be working, though."

"Can't you just... kick them out of the rebellion? Or something? Especially since you're really The General now?" Trevor asked.

"Yeah, especially when you know they're intercepting (Y/n)'s letters," Brandy added.

"They can't do any harm now, especially when there's only two of them left. It won't be long before Elijah and Courtney disband 'The Board' entirely and we won't need to worry about them ever again." James sighed. "At least if they're in the rebellion still I can keep an eye on them. Where's Marcie?" He asked suddenly.