« ✑ » Chapter 4 - The Soirée

It was around midday when it happened. Die, Anti and (Y/n) were in the library at the time. Die and (Y/n) were picking out books while Anti slept on one of the armchairs by the fireplace, legs slung comfortably over one side of the chair.

Dark had teleported into the room, exclaiming that he had just been struck with a delightful idea. And it had to do with the disclosure of (Y/n) and his relationship the day previous.

"Wouldn't it be fun if we held a ball to celebrate?" He had proposed.

"That sounds simply marvellous!" Die immediately exclaimed. "It's been centuries since we've held a ball at the castle!"

"What? No fuckin' way!" Anti sounded much less excited, apparently having been woken by the commotion. "That is the worst idea you could have ever come up with!"

"I don't know, that does sound kind of fun, actually," (Y/n) said.

"What happened to beefing up the security and keeping the lass away from anyone who could hurt her?" Anti pointed out, making his way out of the reading nook and into the main area of the library.

"We'll ramp up the security even more, then. What sends a stronger message than holding a ball so soon after our relationship is announced? We disclosed that information because we wanted to prevent rumours from spreading, didn't we? Wouldn't something like this only aid in that cause?" Dark reasoned.

Anti crossed his arms over his chest, clearly disagreeing still.

"Come now, Anti, don't you miss the days when we held soirées every other week at the castle?" Die insisted.

"No." Anti replied sternly.

Dark sighed. "I just don't want the first action we take after announcing our relationship to be locking ourselves away in the castle, miserably worrying over what might happen next. I've done enough unnecessary worrying." He glanced briefly over to (Y/n) before continuing to speak to Anti. "I want to do something wonderful instead."

Anti didn't respond, turning to look at (Y/n) who was staring at him with pleading eyes. "Come on, Anti! It won't be so bad, I promise!"

Come on, Anti. Indulge the lass, won't ya?

"Fine, but don't expect me to dance or anything fuckin' stupid like that," he huffed, turning away.

"It's settled, then," Dark declared. "It will be held tomorrow evening."

"What? That's so soon!" Anti exclaimed.

"So? What else will you be doing?" Dark asked, getting no response. "I will begin preparations, then!"

"As will Felix and I," Die agreed, closing the book in his hands and slotting it back onto the shelf. Both he and Dark disappeared promptly into a flurry of their respective daegicae, leaving Anti and (Y/n) in the library.

"So you really aren't excited? Not even a teensy weensy tiny little bit?" She asked him.

Anti shook his head. "No, not even a teensy weensy tiny little bit. I hate formal settings, and I stand by what I said about keeping you safe," he said.

"You're starting to sound like Dark," (Y/n) teased him.

"Ugh, don't say that," he groaned.

"You don't have to get dressed up at all, Anti, just show up in whatever you like. I would really appreciate it if you saved me a dance, even?" She coaxed.

"Were you not listening to me?" Anti snapped. "I won't be dancing. I don't even know how to do any of those silly fancy dances. You'll be lucky if I show up at all."